Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-25-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Which post Sierra OS for latest Pro Tools?

I totally jinxed it. In front of a TV crew and a bunch of my clients tonight, my main Mac Pro shut down restarted shut down again and that was it. Dead. Guess what I’ll be looking for black Friday. Oh yeah yay. I never did install another operating system so it’s not that. The screens are gone. And it doesn’t show up on the network anymore. Anyways…
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the breakdown. Sounds like it is a hardware failure and not software. It may be the power supply or graphics card. Nevertheless, it may be time to replace the system. While Black Friday may have some deals, it is also a transitional time for Apple as they are moving towards their own processor chips. You need to evaluate how future proof you want to be versus how compatible you need to be right now. Maybe a used Mac Pro can hold you over until the future arrives.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 AM

Thanks for that. Exactly my sentiment. I don’t know that I’d want to take a loan for a new MacPro considering their latest move away from
Intel. An old MacPro might be the ticket. I have no way of knowing what’s wrong. I could order a new graphics card and try it. This stupid external
Power supply could’ve failed, but i can’t check it. The fans on the card and power supply spin fine.

I don’t have the old graphics card. This machine has had a few already. At this late hour and with turkey day and all it entails, I don’t know what I can do. Hopefully tomorrow brings a bit of clarity
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:43 AM

I bought the last generation PPC G5 Quad PowerMac back in the day, and that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It got me going as long as the Intel Mac Pro was at 4th generation (2009 Nehalem) that really nailed it. First generation models were and still are a bit iffy, but 4,1 and 5,1 are still workhorses. Last generation PPC got me through transition very nicely, not painful at all.

If the brand new last generation Intel Mac Pro is too costly, try to find a good condition Trashcan which has TB2 and plenty of performance. Point here is, try to avoid first few generations of Apple Silicon, I bet it will take at least third model to be usable for professionals.