Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 AM

Default Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Hi, I have a 003 control surface and I was wondering if I will be able to connect them together (003 to iMac, thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) like this (see attachment)

Currently, I have a FW400 to FW800 (female) to thunderbolt 2 for my current iMac. (this works perfectly for the 003 and my current iMac - and... I have had no problems whatsoever, with the 003 on Mojave)

However, the newer iMacs have T3 ports - and do not have T2 ports. So will this be possible?

I have to get a newer iMac... And it has T3 ports - and basically: I just wanted to use the 003 - 32bit, until apple finally go 64bit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (63.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Yes that should work. Has worked fine for me with multiple Firewire 400 devices. The flakiest part of such a chain is likely the Firewire 800 to 400 adapter. If you know that works reliably you should be set from a hardware viewpoint.

... but the real challenge is OS support for the driver. I have no idea the state of support for the 003 on macOS Mojave (what you will get on any new iMac). Hopefully you have already researched that on DUC.

OWC also used to make a really nice Thunderbolt 3 dock with a Firewire 800 port on it. They replaced it with one without Firewire, but you may still be able to find them.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM

The 003 has faithfully served me throughout all of the various OSX (from 2010, to now), even though it has not been supported for a while now. I will be sad when it is eventually rendered inoperable. (it has never failed me all this time!!)

I haven't been using it much lately (I have been using the Roland TR-8S)

The 003, works perfectly on Mojave 10.14.5 and on my current iMac_i7_(Retina 5K_27-inch_Late_2015).

Unfortunately, I need to get a new iMac - and I thought I would try to connect the 003 to the T3 ports... There's no harm in trying I guess. However, eventually apple will go 'full-on' 64 bit and that will be the end-of-the-road for my dear old friend.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
The 003 has faithfully served me throughout all of the various OSX (from 2010, to now), even though it has not been supported for a while now. I will be sad when it is eventually rendered inoperable. (it has never failed me all this time!!)

I haven't been using it much lately (I have been using the Roland TR-8S)

The 003, works perfectly on Mojave 10.14.5 and on my current iMac_i7_(Retina 5K_27-inch_Late_2015).

Unfortunately, I need to get a new iMac - and I thought I would try to connect the 003 to the T3 ports... There's no harm in trying I guess. However, eventually apple will go 'full-on' 64 bit and that will be the end-of-the-road for my dear old friend.
If it works Mojave you are set... go forth and make music.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If it works Mojave you are set... go forth and make music.
I have purchased an iMac i9 And an external 1TB Samsung X5. I want to install Mojave and pro tools 2019.5 and a number of third party plugins, on the X5 and I do not wish to install on the internal 1TB SSD on the iMac.

This will be ok won’t it?

I just want to be able to use my 003 - because I love it.

Never done this kind of set-up before, but considering the X5 has extremely fast data speeds, I thought now would be a good time to implement this configuration. (Not sure what the speed of the internal iMac 1TB SSD flash storage is?)

Obviously I am choosing this set-up for a legacy product (i.e. 003 control surface).

I just want the option of switching between Mojave and Catalina.

Thanks

Last edited by jamesleonard; 08-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:54 AM

MY new iMac_i9;
3.6 GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz Intel Core;
Retina 5K_27-inch_2019;
Radeon_Pro_580X_8_GB;
64GB_RAM
1TB SSD_flash storage;

Came with Mojave 10.14.5 pre-installed. This version of Mojave - is what I wish to install on the Samsung X5 1TB - as well as:

*Pro Tools 2019.5/ and the Pro Tools Bundle;
*All the third party plugins I have. i.e.: Fabfilter, Aphex, etc., etc.;
*003 drivers (for 003 control surface); I have bought the T2 to T3 connector.
*TR-8S drivers (for Roland TR-8S);

Basically... Everything I would install on the internal 1TB SSD flash storage within the iMac - I wish to install on the external 1TB Samsung X5.

Now... Forgive me for being kind-of-dumb but... I have never attempted to do this kind-of thing before!

Will this be an easy process to implement?

Links would be appreciated - as I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, however, I cannot seem to find the correct info on this (forgive me!), and I just need a little 'pointer' in the right direction.

Thanks.

James

Last edited by jamesleonard; 08-24-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
MY new iMac_i9;
3.6 GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz Intel Core;
Retina 5K_27-inch_2019;
Radeon_Pro_580X_8_GB;
64GB_RAM
1TB SSD_flash storage;

Came with Mojave 10.14.5 pre-installed. This version of Mojave - is what I wish to install on the Samsung X5 1TB - as well as:

*Pro Tools 2019.5/ and the Pro Tools Bundle;
*All the third party plugins I have. i.e.: Fabfilter, Aphex, etc., etc.;
*003 drivers (for 003 control surface); I have bought the T2 to T3 connector.
*TR-8S drivers (for Roland TR-8S);

Basically... Everything I would install on the internal 1TB SSD flash storage within the iMac - I wish to install on the external 1TB Samsung X5.

Now... Forgive me for being kind-of-dumb but... I have never attempted to do this kind-of thing before!

Will this be an easy process to implement?

Links would be appreciated - as I am sure this has been discussed many, many times, however, I cannot seem to find the correct info on this (forgive me!), and I just need a little 'pointer' in the right direction.

Thanks.

James
I have to ask - why do you want to install what's on your internal system drive to an external drive unless you want a backup to your internal drive? You could probably do the job with Carbon Copy Cloner. You really should have a clone backup of a working system so that when fecal matter contacts the rotary oscillator you can get back to work without much hassle. I make weekly backups to an external spinner that gets disconnected after making the clone - that way it won't get screwed up if something happens to the internal drive.

OSX really wants to see programs, plugins, etc. on the system drive which is usually internal to the computer.. You can have sample libraries anywhere you want - just point the sampler to where the samples are stored.

QAPLA!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
/snip/
Never done this kind of set-up before, but considering the X5 has extremely fast data speeds, I thought now would be a good time to implement this configuration. (Not sure what the speed of the internal iMac 1TB SSD flash storage is?)
/snip/
The X5 SSD internally is an PCIe 3 x 4 lane interface that uses NVMe, connects via Thunderbolt 3 (which basically directly gives you remote PCIe 3 x 4 lane). Any modern iMac internal SSD is also a PCIe 3 x 4 lane SSD that uses NVMe, connected directly to the processor's PCIe lanes. Performance is going to be in the same ballpark as the X5, I'd hope better with long term sustained I/O performance if only because Apple should have gotten active thermal cooling better on the internal drive than Samsung can do on a sealed brick.

Like Jack, I'm questioning why you are trying to do this. A huge disadvantage in operating off an external USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 drive is it is easy to have a bad day by accidentally disconnecting the drive.... my main complaint with the X5... which is otherwise a great drive. Why not run everything on the internal SSD? And use external drives for backup only.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:26 AM

Hey musicman691, Darryl Ramm:)

I want to keep the Mojave 10.14.5, because Pro Tools works perfectly on this macOS.
It also works perfectly for the 003 control surface - as well as the other bullet-points - I have listed above.

I know this seems strange to a seasoned Mac user (such as yourself and probably most people on this forum), but I just want to install this version of Mojave on an external drive, i.e.: My external, 1TB NVMe Samsung X5.

I have never attempted anything like this before - because as I stated earlier: I have always installed everything on the internal drive.

Catalina, will be released soon - and I just want the option of booting up in Mojave 10.14.5…

To be honest, I am a bit concerned - as I have no idea what I am supposed to do, to achieve this.

So… To quickly summarise: I have bought an external, 1TB NVMe Samsung X5. And I hope to Run Mojave 10.14.5, on the external drive - so, Pro Tools (and everything I have listed), will work - UNTIL Catalina, eventually gets the ‘Ok’ from Avid. Incidentally, which will be some time next year. When Catalina is released late sept, I will install this on my internal drive.

I hope I have made myself clear to yourselves - and anyone reading this - what my intentions are :)

Perhaps, I am asking this question wrong - and there is a simple solution to this.

Thanks

Last edited by jamesleonard; 08-24-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Uh why would you upgrade to Catalina if you did not want or need to?

If you have the disk space you can install both Mojave and Catalina on the internal drive.

If you do not *need* two different boot environments this is a lot of extra work and potential problems you can create for yourself.

And as Jack has already said, all you sound like you want to do now is clone your internal drive to the external, so Carbon Copy Cloner is the easy way to go.

Now if you are going to run off an external drive, where/how are you backing that up?