Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-1999, 08:52 PM

Default 001 is a JOKE!

This thing is a toy!
Midi Time clock wont work for ****!
Timeline does not want to follow sequence when in play!
Worst of all, when you put an audio track into record ready, there is an audio delay of your signal! Thats without pushing play , record or anything!!! I sold my old pro-tools 4.01, 16 bit nu-bus system with 2 farm cards for this!

I have wasted 4 days, and much money on this system. I'm pissed, and Digidesign has some freakin nerv to put something out that is un-useable!

I had a song that had to be ready days ago! I'm ****ed cause of the 001!

For the record im on a brand new G4-400 with 368 megs of ram! (thats another thing I didnt need to buy!)
Old 12-12-1999, 09:34 PM

Default Re: 001 is a JOKE!

drlego-

I can only assume that when you sold your other system, you at least new what you were buying (though it doesn't really sound like you did). Digi001 is host-based and therefore has an inherent amount of latency (the signal delay you describe). That's no mystery, nor is Digidesign trying to hide that from the public, etc. Furthermore- from what I've read here on this board, if you've got your ducks in a row, everything works fine (including MTC), and if you don't have your ducks in a nice and orderly row, Digi's people are there to help however they can. It's funny, you subscribed and posted just to let us all know you're having problems that seem to be more your fault than the program's. My two cents: contact Digi before trashing the program.
Old 12-12-1999, 10:47 PM

WOW!!! Now that is a bold post about the digi001. I am kind of curious about the Nubus setup that you "sold" to replace with the 001. Some people might say or think that a Nubus PT III system is outdated. It kind of sounds like you do. The 001 is a high-end project studio bundle. I'm not sure that you fully understand the difference between PT III (PCI or Nubus) and the digi001 with PT LE. I find it kind of silly. First of all, you had TDM capabilities and further expansion. The 001, for now, stops where it's at with RTAS and AS with no interface upgrades/add-ons. Sure, it's 24-bit. But, come on. If you are talking about a Nubus system running a PT III system with 2 farms with more room for expansion, I would have kept the Nubus system.

BUYER BEWARE. You should have done a little more homework before you chose your path. Maybe you should have sold your Nubus Mac and the cards, keep the interfaces, and bought a PCI Mac and a PCI core. It all depends what you want to do.

Keep in mind that this is the first release of the 001 and PT LE. Certain bugs will probably get fixed sooner or later. Nothings perfect.

peace, love in the groove
Old 12-13-1999, 07:59 AM

Hey Chris,
The dealer that sold me the system told me "this will blow your pro-tools nubus system away"
The Fact is he didnt tell me about latency which is unacceptable for me. MTC does not work! Infact I was on the phone with digi tech support for hours and they couldnt figure it out. If you know it works, can you please tell me how? Can you please tell digi how? I am not new to this stuff. I am an original sound tools owner from over 10 years ago. I also have been mac developer since 1986.
I understand that with a new product there may be some bugs, but to put something out with an audio delay thats so bad, and MTC that does not work, is unfair to someone who has work to do. Not time to debug all digis problems. My time is money, and I have invested alot of it into this unuseable system. If you don't mind latency thats fine, but I do mind it alot, and was never told by my dealer who was so anxious to sell it.

Old 12-13-1999, 08:03 AM

MTC is working just fine for me, even Midi clock out is fine (and a blessing too)
I'm using a Studio 64X and the 001 midi port
Old 12-13-1999, 02:46 PM

Robert,
thanks for the reply.

Look, I can't get the 001 to generate mtc from the 001 interface. In the session window I have mtc to port selected, and I tried it to the 001 as a device, and my yamaha su700 as a device. I even hooked it up to my Ramsa da7, and the window showed no MTC. I have tried every parameter, and every variable I could find. I even spent hours on the phone with tech support, and they cant figure it out.

Do I need an external midi interface to make this work?

I don't want to leave the pro-tools world, but if I cant have mtc , I have no choice.

Old 12-13-1999, 09:14 PM

to who it may concern:

I got a call from tech support today.
I DID FIND A MAJOR BUG IN THE SYSTEM.
MTC will not work out of the digi001 interface.

MOTU here I come.
Old 12-13-1999, 11:18 PM

Well allz Iz wantz to knowz iz...

If the hardware is screwed, can we all get advance replacements? I.e. no downtime as a result of the recall?

Oh OK I guess not. Pity the fools who buy 1.0? I'm gonna wait until the third or fourth recall to send my unit back and suffer the two weeks of outage. It sorta works for me so far. Maybe all the problems will be in software, let's hope. And let's hope there are downloadable patches, ideally built cumulatively.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 12-14-1999, 12:28 AM

drlego,

Before you throw that 001 out the window, try a couple of these suggestions first to see if the problems go away.

Latency - I'm assuming the latency your are talking about is monitoring latency when recording. The amount of latency is directly controlled by the Buffer Size setting in the Hardware Setups dialog box. Simply put the larger the Buffer Size setting the more latency you will have during recording; the lower the Buffer Setting, the lower the latency. The default size is set for 512. I would suggest setting the buffer size to 128 and try your recording again (there is also a 256 buffer size setting in between). The latency should not be noticeable to most musicians. You may ask "Why do you even have a buffer size setting?" The Buffer Size determines how much audio data gets processed at a given time. When you increase the buffer size, you are creating a larger buffer for Pro Tools to process Plug-Ins, tracks, or edit density simultaneously - this explains why we set the default for 512. As you lower the buffer size, you will reduce the amount of Plug-Ins, tracks, and edit density but effectively eliminate noticeable recording or external processing effect latency. Since you are running a G4, you should also increase the CPU Usage size to its maximum of 75% to fully utilize the power of the G4. The CPU usage size also determines how much Plug-Ins/Tracks you can run - but has no effect on latency.

MTC - if you are not getting MTC into the system, the most common problem is a setting in the MIDI menu, "Inputs Enable". Make sure that the device you are trying to read MTC from is enabled in this box. If not, Pro Tools will never see timecode from the device. I'm sure you've also verified that the device you are trying to get MTC from is setup in OMS to receive MTC.

I'm also sorry the dealer led you astray. No host-based system, not even our own, can compete with real-time dedicated DSP hardware. When it comes down to it, you never have to compromise Plug-Ins vs. tracks, vs. latency with a dedicated hardware system. With ANY host-based system, you always have compromises. We've tried to communicate that message here at Digi to both our dealers and the public - we'll just have to try harder to make the distinction.

Hope these suggestions work,

Robert Campbell, Digi 001 Product Manager
Old 12-14-1999, 10:39 AM

Don't mind me,
I am going nuts. The last 5 day's have been hell! Talk about DOWN time.

But I have decided to stay with digi 001.
I had to spend mo money and get a motu midi timepiece to get MTC. I new I wasnt going crazy.

Yea I was *******at the begining, but the bottom line is the pro-tools interface is second to none!

There is nothing out there that works and feels as good.

I also want to mention that even though digi tech support didnt recognize the problem at first, they did spend alot of time with me, and on their own testing and trying to make it work. 2 thumbs up to tech support.

Hey now can I be a beta tester?

As I find out more **** I will post it!