Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Is 12.8 a joke for non HD users? Shameful....

As I've had it up and running for only a few hours I'm going to hold back a Yea or Nay.

Admittedly as a Native user I feel I've gotten ALOT this past year and I DO see the point of the HD users who feel hosed considering their fees and what they've gotten.

I DID look at the release Notes as recommended and the one thing that has always frosted my shorts in PT is MIDI...and they did a helluva a lot of fixes with this release it appears.

So let's all sit back, watch the Early Adopters bleed all over the floor (if it happens...I'm one...napkins anyone?) and see how this release plays out over the next month.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Its just a bunch of complainers who want everything free and entitled to whatever you *feel* you want blaming Avid techs ... why not just feel good that you got loads of great features this past year. Whatever they came from (HD) and also you pay $99 a year. If you honestly feel that is too much for you and what you get then .. you know .. other DAW's are there for the taking.

For many years we have used Pro Tools, in my case since 6.4 (2003) and we want to be treated in the same way as those who use HD, so if those who use HD give them 700 dollars of plugins like the bundle Pro. And now to have a little more subscribers give 2 plugins of 300 dollars each and for those who paid a reinstate? Or for people who pay 99 every year do not deserve southsidemusic respect? I reiterate you do not work in AVID .... the people of AVID are the ones who decide how, when and why, you don't !!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risey View Post
OMG I feel like I am banging my head on a wall "NO MATTER WHAT U GET U WILL COMPLAIN"? erm... I been with Pro Tools since version 7, I have bought into all versions as they became available, this is the FIRST TIME I have ever complained.
And lets talk about HD users, yes you are also been taken for a ride, I agree with totally, but that does not lessen my complaint in any way shape or form....

Peace and love...
Ryan
I get it. We can remember version numbers from their #1 new feature, like...

7.0 - multicore processing
7.1 - bugfixes for LE only
7.2 - VCA
7.3 - universal binaries
7.4 - elastic audio
8.0 - new gui
8.1 - HEAT
9.0 - 3rd party interfaces
10.0 - AAX32
10.1 - bugfixes
10.2 - bugfixes
10.3 - bugfixes
11.0 - 64bit software
12.0 - hmm... new business model?
12.5 - Cloud Collaboration
12.6 - bugfixes
12.7 - bugfixes
12.8 - Dolby Atmos

...so ever since PT was Avid-branded (PT9), it has been unclear what a new version brings, if anything.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
Or for people who pay 99 every year do not deserve southsidemusic respect?
For being such a long-time user, you might have already noticed that SSM voices his opinions very strongly from time to time, especially when needing to skim through a plethora of threads such as after 12.8 release.

It's not about earning SSM respect, just that he is entitled to some venting too. And I do that every now and then as well, and trust me, it isn't funny to find out that many fellow DUC'ers react to our messages angrier than they should.

But it's the weight of the mod hat I guess... just bear with us, we only want to help us all.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 AM

I know I'm in a different position than most because I'm not renewing my subscription, and it expires in a few days. But I'm extremely happy that 12.8 came out before it expired, and that it addressed many of the bugs that needed fixing. So I'm happy for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risey View Post
We all bought into this subscription model "UPDATES CAN BE MORE FREQUENT" and all that other pre sales poop, I have been a PT users since version 7. Updates have become far and few in between then we get this 12.8 update that is basically a patch for non HD users?
Avid your subscription model is quickly running out of steam and I can see companies like Steinberg will be again offering cross-grades to Cubase...

SHAMEFUL, call back your executives to the meeting room and start drawing out a plan, QUICKLY...
Ryan
Old 06-27-2017, 12:12 AM

Surely the solution is to be releasing new HD and Vanilla features with every non-bug fix release? I mean, tossing out an update for any version of Pro Tools that lacks any new features and just offers bug fixes really doesn't show any kind of value for money. Those bugs should have been fixed before the initial release.

HD users have been in exactly the same position in the past as Vanilla users are now... I think everyone has a right to complain about it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 AM

I'm definitely on the underwhelmed side... but I agree completely with what Southsidemusic said a few pages back - there should only be one version of PT. Then there would be none of this unnecessary animosity between both sets of users. We all use PT for different tasks... some have invested more than others, but it doesn't make either party more or less valid.

This release is clearly aimed at a minority of users (ie. Post) - the people who pay Avid's salaries. It also allows them to retain that 'Pro' tag by ensuring their visibility in larger facilities. Perhaps music (production) is now secondary in Avid's long-term vision?

The reason Avid's Subscription ideal is fundamentally flawed, is that it's simply not cost-effective to release an update every time a bug or two are fixed. It's also clearly impractical to try & manage a vast array of 'dot' releases on different systems.

So now we have 12.8... which is reputedly said to have fixed numerous bugs.... time will tell!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 AM

A little perspective perhaps???

12.8 is actually a major update. I would imagine Atmos integration would have required a significant amount of development effort and testing.

The issue is... very few of us actually want it and even fewer actually need it. However, if Pro Tools is to remain the industry standard DAW in the post industry, it needs to add Atmos at some point and I guess now is as good a time as any. If Avid is overtaken in THE key market where it now appears to be focussing its attention, then that is to the detriment of us all IMO.

So even though Atmos is of absolutely no use whatsoever to me, I can see why PT needs to have it.

Personally I'm glad it is out of the way and we can move forward with stuff we all can use.

Then there is the issue of why 12.8 has taken such a long time to reach us. This interview with Avid's CEO provides an explanation, there has been a major restructuring of how PT is developed ...
http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/busin...e-at-nab/47285
...However, it also states quite clearly that after Q2, i.e. NOW we will be getting more regular updates as originally promised. Avid has run out of excuses! Let's hope it delivers.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Actually I think ALL OF US just want the stuff we've already paid for over and over to work. As Vanilla user myself I pay $25 PER MONTH not $99 per year. Maybe I'll take your advice...drop it for 6 months and then re-up for $99
You'd need to buy the software. My logic was off on that. Might be better to purchase in the long run but's that what we're all bugging about. The right to get updates comes with a cost that many feel aren't valid.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 AM

One addition they could add from a cosmetic point of view is new SKINS, darker or something, it has almost looked the same for a decade

But on a serious note one thing that is not addressed and at this point I give up as many have asked for this, better multi core support,Pro Tools does not use the CPU threads available to it, in fact in all my sessions it creates a triangular pattern, for example out of 16 cores 8 of which are physical core 1,2,3,16,15,14 are almost idle while core 8 takes the mother load and a triangular pattern works backwards from that peak. PT will claim there is 78% usage when I can visually see cores only at 2-4% usage. In rare cases there is also a crash when loading up a plugin into a heavy session, I was able to alleviate this by disabling core zero via affinity which prevents the overload of the first core for the initial load. (i7 5960x)

Also AAX support is not that great among 3rd partie developers, I find less CPU usage and crashes by wrapping vst versions of plugins using Patchwork.