How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Massey DRT vs slate trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I really dislike the snare sounds that come stock with it though. Over processed and not my thing, tonally.

Yep I agree
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 AM

I'm no expert on Trigger2 so excuse me if I'm wrong, but... I think there is one major thing that separates these two plug-ins and very few seem to ever mention it.
DRT can analyze a complete audio track and create midi for it in seconds, to be handed to a drum instrument. It's an Audiosuite and does not have to play through the whole clip / song to "pick up" midi.

Can Trigger2 do that? In my view, it's two completely different plug-ins.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Yep trigger 2 real-time capture only
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Then a combo of DRT + a drum instrument beats the hell outta Trigger
Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 PM

I use DRT, after going in and fine tuning every transient point, to analyze a snare or kik track. After getting the transient markers I print audio ticks with DRT. I then trigger Trigger with the audio ticks. This ensures sample accurate drum enhancement. I never use the midi function as midi is far from accurate enough for sample accurate drum blending. I use mostly my own samples that I have made from many many drum sessions. I have seperate rooms that I trigger using a seperate instance of Trigger on it's own track that is triggered with the same audio ticks as the close sample. All of this is done with multiple velocity layers of each multi sample.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I have seperate rooms that I trigger using a seperate instance of Trigger on it's own track that is triggered with the same audio ticks as the close sample. All of this is done with multiple velocity layers of each multi sample.
"Multiple velocity"..... please elaborate on that, if you have a moment. So if your snare is made up of 4 tracks (close, OH, room1, room2), each of those tracks are triggered with a different velocity?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM

I mean that for each drum sample, snare, kik, or tom, the sample has seperate velocity zones and each one has about 5 samples in it so that when a fill is played the same sample is not triggered over and over again. The 5 samples are played in random rotation at whatever velocity they are being triggered at. In addition, there are about 10 different velocity zones, ranging from hardest hits to ghost notes, that each have 5 samples in them in order to achieve the same realism that is achieved by the random rotation of sample playback. In other words, seperate velocity zones with multiple samples in each zone is what is required to achieve realistic drum replacement of, or blending with, the original drum sounds.

Each individual snare, kik and or tom is replaced or blended with it's own individual Trigger track. Each one of those has it's own seperate room sample in yet another instance of Trigger. This way you can procces each sound as you choose. The original drum sounds stay on their own original tracks to process as you choose as well. The instances of Trigger are triggered from duplicate tracks of each drum that have been turned into audio clicks by DRT which retain all of the original velocity information of the original drum. These audio clicks are sent to each instance of Trigger via aux sends which are in pre fader mode so that the track faders can be at zero in order to be able to not hear the clicks. If you simply insert Trigger on a drum track chances are that not all of the resulting transient points will be totally accurate no matter how much you tweek the parameters of Trigger. If you totally replace the original drum you most likely won't hear this but if you blend it with the original drum you will hear the occasional flam between the original sound and the sample. If you want truly accurate sample placement you will have to employ the above method. There is no way to achieve this level of accuracy by simply slapping an instance of any drum replacement software on a track. None of them are sophisticated enough to achieve totally sample accurate transient detection.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks, I got it now.

I don't use Trigger. I use Massey DRT to create midi tracks from each of the analog recorded drum tracks. The created midi is then fed to a drum virtual instrument, which is configured as multi-out (to aux tracks), so this new 'midi kit' can be mixed live Pro Tools. The original analog drums are mixed and blended in later, mostly the overheads and room mics.

Last edited by hjorte; 09-24-2014 at 06:23 PM.