Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Default Well it looks like the writing's on the wall

With the relatively mediocre support for the AAX-DSP format including the loss of 50% of the value of my Waves TDM Mercury, and the seemingly dead end of growth of the HD software, HDX will be the next casualty.

Truth is, except for trim automation and low latency, HD software on an HDX system offers me nothing more than the LE version. In fact, the HD features that weren't cross platform were the compelling reason to go HD in the first place and while these features should never have been locked out of LE, they were and I went HD. Today? Not a chance. In fact, with so many plugins AAX Native only, when I record another track to an almost finished mix, I have to disable a whole bunch - especially UAD. So I get little benefit from the HDX card.

As the different software offerings have basically converged, I can't see too many people going the HDX, or even HD Native route anymore.

I hear the death knell for Pro Tools HD. And HDX with it.

ding...ding...ding................................ ..d i n g
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Well it looks like the writing's on the wall

I agree, fortunately and unfortunately technology advances at a very fast pace. 10 years ago it was unthinkable and impossible to use Pro-Tools LE native in a professional environment. Latency, tracks count, quality of digital conversion, etc etc were huge obstacles.
Nowadays even my iPhone has more processing power of my old top of the line $3000 Apple power PC

Now I can track 24 tracks at the same time with no audible latency and separate headphone cues straight out of the vanilla version.

I believe the future is in native, we are seeing more and more great audio interfaces at very reasonable prices such as UAD, Focusrite etc. I think the time for dedicated Digidesign and now AVID PT audio interfaces its over.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
I believe the future is in native, we are seeing more and more great audio interfaces at very reasonable prices such as UAD, Focusrite etc. I think the time for dedicated Digidesign and now AVID PT audio interfaces its over.
Yep! it is for me! I'm not buying anymore Avid hardware.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:16 PM

The writing was already on the wall when HDX came to the market. It was outdated then.

An intel processor based server, ala Waves Digigrid, is where Avid should have went. If they could have made it work with a stripped windows o/s, as opposed to linux in digigrid, all the AAX Native plugins would be DSP on the server and native without the server.

Now, PT Vanilla and a UA Apollo/Digigrid is a serious alternative for music-only guys. My guess is used HDX prices on ebay are going to fall.

Also, I think Avid had to get Vanilla up to speed. It was so behind Logic, Cubase, etc. in features. There was a danger of Vanilla becoming an after thought.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
An intel processor based server, ala Waves Digigrid, is where Avid should have went......

Instead they went with the old idea of 3rd party DA.....and Texas Instruments are not slouches by any means....but it probably drove the price up....quite a bit
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure about being dead, but it should definitely be cheaper! Is the Omni HD really worth $5000? It should be more around $1000!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro