Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 03:16 AM

Default save session copy in command

My system works ok but one thing just is the worst problem ever. Has anyone ever had this problem, where save a session copy in command will not work, about half way through it stops and says disk error -37. The thing is is there is nothing wrong with the drives, they are the dreaded scsi drives though, I have run every utility and there is nothing wrong with the drives, I have reformated them (atto) nothing works, does anybody know of this, I know there are workarounds for this but it takes forever, I must be able to use this when I am done with my work, please help! thank you

go backside!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: save session copy in command

ohhhhhh yeah, i feel your pain.
we had a hot tpoic going on this over on the post forum a while back.
it has to do with file management, it's not a hardware issue.
it's kind of a mystery, as digi doesn't have a "log" function or other way of telling what file is not working. but, basically, it has to do with problems when files are copied.
my solution: set regions list to show full pathnames; verify where files are being referenced from -- my guess is that different regions in your session are referencing different copies of the same file on multiple drives.

when you go to copy the session, it tries to put two copies of a single file in yr new audio files folder. for some reason, digi hasn't made the software smart enough to deal with that.

so what i do is manually eliminate the copies by making pt reference a single audio files folder, with copies of all the audio files from the formerly far flung folders in it. somewhat time consuming......but it works.

i.e rename all the folders that are currently referenced and then when opening your session, every time pt asks for a file that isn't in your audio files folder, copy it in.

digi and some other people think the -37 error could also have to do with file name length, which is another possibility, names cannot be more than 31 characters. changing names has not, however, ever solved anything for me, whereas addressing the issue above has.

hope this helps!!
i myself spent a weekend in -37 hell, so, like i said, i feel your pain. as i said above, check the post section, there is more info there.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:17 PM

Thank you so much, that helps me big time, I wish they would fix this bug, it really stresses me out.
Also I think the audio regions list window is a disaster, they should make it so you can make your own folders and organize everything, if you have even a small session the audio region list turns into a freaking mess. What would be so hard about letting the user make folders, so I can put all the car by's in the car by folder, gunshots in gunshot folder etc. Even for music recording this would help. Pro tools gets an A+ in my book, but the audio regions list gets an F. They should do it like the browser (I think that's what it's called) window in Final cut pro, you can totally organize all the audio into folders, and it is so much easier to deal with. does any one else agree with this, or is it just me?
Old 07-19-2002, 06:03 PM

you are very very right about the regions list.
and very welcome for the info.
take care,
ps
Old 07-20-2002, 10:06 AM

I noticed that I got the -37 error when the region list contained whole audio files that were very short. Once I removed them, I could perform the function. Of course, I had to manually copy those files back into the session