Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-18-2003, 07:46 PM

Default It Works! My Protools system works!!! Woooooo Hooooo!!

Well, I finally did it. I have come this far and I am up and running. After all the weeks and weeks of research, gathering ideas, asking millions of questions, buying computer parts, building my Allenstein PC, and basically sh*tting a brick [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] because I have never built a computer before in my life... I finally hooked up the Digi001 and installed PTLE tonight and it went off without a hitch! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I got the sample session loaded and fired it up. You have no idea the sense of relief I felt when I heard that sweet sweet music begin to echo from the Mackie HR824's sitting on the two kitchen chairs flanking my dining room table!!! (yes, my dining room has been turned into a temporary laboratory where I have been hatching my evil plot for the last few months [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). I am working on setting up a more permanent home for the gear in another part of the house.

The only thing I am not able to do for some reason is to separate the edit and mix windows. They seem to be stuck together. I can't put them side by side.. they are layered on top of each other. How do I separate them so I can move one over to the other monitor? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Other than that... now the long learning process begins. I have a lot to learn about protools and I am looking forward to the journey!

I also got my Protools LE demo DVD today so I am going to crack open a nice cold one to celebrate my victory, and sit back and watch the DVD.

Oh man I'm giddy like a little girl!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PS- I want to thank all of you, especially Allen, who have been so kind, patient, and helpful in answering my many many questions over the last couple of months. Without you guys I would not have made it this far. So for that I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Okay, I'll shut up now and go play. I'll try doing that Davec test as well.

Oh, here's a list of the equipment I have gathered so far...

Allen Machine XP2400 with ASUS A7V333
Colorcase grey case, with Spiderman window (the blue led case fan looks cool in the dark)
Dual 19" monitors (two tone silver and black)
Digi001
Digimax LT 8-channel preamp (off ebay)
Mackie HR824 monitors (off ebay and you'd be sick if I told you how cheap I got them!!!)
Mics
Shure SM57 (snare top and guitar cabinet)
Rode NT3 (snare bottom, guitar cabinet, vocals, room mic)
Oktava MK012 (three of them, two for drum overheads and one for hihats)
Audix D6 (kick drum)
Radio Shack Senneheiser E604 knock-offs (will use temporarily for toms until I can get real mics... I plan on getting Shure Beta98's or Audix Micro d's for 10" and 12" rack toms and Audix D4's for 14" and 16" floor toms)
And my keyboard player has a Cad E100 we will use for vocals until I can get my own good mic.

I still have to build a desk/ work station, get some cables, a snake (my girlfriend works for Switchcraft so I can get connectors for next to nothing so I might actually build my own snake), and a few more mic stands, but I'm getting close to haveing this whole rig up and ready to actually record something. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Re: It Works! My Protools system works!!! Woooooo Hooooo!!

Congrats on your new system!

Here's how you get the two windows seperately.

Open Pro Tools. Do NOT open a session yet. See that grey screen with "Digidesign" written on it? That's the parent window. Drag it to the upper left corner of your left hand monitor, so that the upper left corner of the window is in the upper left corner of the left monitor. Now grab the lower RIGHT corner and drag it down and across, so that the grey window covers both monitor screens. Done? Good - now open a session. If both the mix and edit screens show up, drag each to its own monitor screen and adjust the size of each to taste. If one is still missing, hit Cntrl + and the other one should pop to the top so you can drag it where you want.

Get a hold of Swaphappy and ask him for a copy of the Windowplacer utility so you don't have to resize all these windows every time you open a new session.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Siberian:
Quote:
Mackie HR824 monitors (off ebay and you'd be sick if I told you how cheap I got them!!!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, you would be sick if I told you how much I gave for my NEW ones from Mars!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

BTW, congrats on getting your system going. I can faintly remember that giddy schoolgirl feeling from way back when.
I was trying to pick up a few of those giddy college girls the last two weeks at South Padre Island, but no luck. It probably had to do with having to work! We had our big rig up for several shows. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:53 PM

Phil, I got it. Figured it out. I resized the main PT gray window and all is well.

Nitro, I'll have to check out Mars for other stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:55 PM

]Originally posted by Siberian:
Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mars is no more. That's why I got the great price [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitronick:
]Originally posted by Siberian:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mars is no more. That's why I got the great price [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mars is the reason I got my 001 so cheap. I called Mars and they said we can give it to you for 699.00. That was 100.00 less than their advertised price in the magazine they sent me. So I called Guitar Center and they said oh they must have made a mistake our cost on it is around 630.00. I said well that is what they told me and I'm going to buy it from them if you aren't able to beat it. So they said we'll sell you two for 650.00 each. I jumped on it and I'm loving it ever since.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 12:35 AM

So Allen, you're running TWO Digi 001's? I think I remember you saying something about that before - you have one at home and one at work or something like that, correct? You're not locking the two PC's / Digi 001's together, are you? Ever tried that? 64 tracks! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:58 AM

Ooh, two digi's at one time.... kinky. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
So Allen, you're running TWO Digi 001's? I think I remember you saying something about that before - you have one at home and one at work or something like that, correct? You're not locking the two PC's / Digi 001's together, are you? Ever tried that? 64 tracks! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well one went to the ex-girlfriend

Allen [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]