Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2022, 11:17 PM

Default Suggest me a new third monitor

27 to 32 inch. minimum 1080p. looking at QHD? I'm not a gamer, I really only used this as a DAW. This is with my new Mac studio and will stack above my two current 21" Acer 1080p which look fine to my eyes but maybe 1440p for a larger monitor? Open budget wise but looking for best value. Will I not like 1080p in a bigger monitor?

FWIW I'm in Vancouver Canada

TIA. Getting mostly set up with my new Mac Studio. Nice machine
Old 10-16-2022, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Suggest me a new third monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
27 to 32 inch. minimum 1080p. looking at QHD? I'm not a gamer, I really only used this as a DAW. This is with my new Mac studio and will stack above my two current 21" Acer 1080p which look fine to my eyes but maybe 1440p for a larger monitor? Open budget wise but looking for best value. Will I not like 1080p in a bigger monitor?

FWIW I'm in Vancouver Canada

TIA. Getting mostly set up with my new Mac Studio. Nice machine

1080p on a 27” or 32” would (IMHO) look terrible. Interface would be far too big.

4K will look small, but you could use it in Retina mode effectively doubling your pixel count and run it at 1440p. That’s what I do with a 32”.

One thing to note, once you use a Retina type display, you’ll NEVER want to go back. Fonts look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2022, 06:47 AM

I've been using an older LG 34" Ultrawide (1080) with my Mac Studio without issues and it looks good. I thought about upgrading to a 32" 4K monitor but wasn't sure if it would be a benefit. I would gain roughly 2" vertically but lose about 3-" horizontally.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 10-16-2022, 08:38 AM

+1 for ultrawide, it is great for mixer window. I prefer flar panel but some swear on curved.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
1080p on a 27” or 32” would (IMHO) look terrible. Interface would be far too big.

4K will look small, but you could use it in Retina mode effectively doubling your pixel count and run it at 1440p. That’s what I do with a 32”.

One thing to note, once you use a Retina type display, you’ll NEVER want to go back. Fonts look amazing.

Hmmm, not sure why you think 1080 on a 27-32" would look bad. I've been running a pair of Viewsonic 32" screens for a year and am quite happy. Previously was a 43" and a 27" and was not unhappy about that either(the 43" was an LED TV that was tough to get colors right though). I agree that 4K would not be good. Can't comment on Retina displays, but they sure do look nice As for reading fonts, I'm pushing 70 and can read everything on my screens without glasses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triplescrn.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2022, 08:59 AM

^ what he said.

For example the now vintage Apple TB Display is 27" and perfect for 1080p
Old 10-16-2022, 12:05 PM

*Waved out the window in Vancouver, maybe you saw, lol*

I currently use a 27" iMac, 5k Retina. I used to use a Trashcan Mac Pro and only a 54" 1080 (old) "Smart TV."

Using the hi-res Retina as my main screen, I have the large 1080 screen beside it, and I can resonate with other comments above with this anecdote: When I decide to move a easily usable window from the smaller iMac to the larger smart TV, the window becomes huge! It's harder to read the fonts, the colour isn't as deep. I have to jump my eyes around.

The displays due to size have to rest on different x-y on the desk, meaning I also have to focus a different distance just to adapt when I glance over to the other screen.

Over all, last week I ordered a 31.5" 4k screen on sale for $1000 before tax from Best Buy, refurbished down from $1400.

My theory, which I am fairly confident about, is that being able to set both displays at the same distance from my eyes, and being closer matching sizes and resolutions, I will have less eye strain and general fatigue. I think I will use the secondary screen quite a bit more often for different uses and work will become to some degree more productive, and less draining physiologically speaking.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-16-2022, 12:42 PM

I have a 32(ish) inch LG which has broken twice, but it looked great when it worked. I now use a 32(ish) inch Dell which also looks great. Both are 4K and I like the sharpness. As already mentioned, text might be small but I scale the display to a larger size and that works perfectly. I'd actually love an additional monitor or one that's wider but that's tough to do when you're trying not to let anything block the audio monitors.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:43 PM

27" LG 5K Retina display. As Sardi says once 5K personally cannot go back. Used two for a while, need to get back to that.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Suggest me a new third monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, not sure why you think 1080 on a 27-32" would look bad. I've been running a pair of Viewsonic 32" screens for a year and am quite happy.
I did say IMHO.

To me, at that size, 1080p resolution is FAR too big. I’ve been using 1440p for at least a decade now. No way I could use 1080p on panels that big.

Quote:
As for reading fonts, I'm pushing 70 and can read everything on my screens without glasses
I do sincerely mean this with the utmost respect, but you can read everything because of the resolution you’re running. Everything on the screen is quite large and thus easy to see.

Regarding the sharpness though, put two screens at the same magnification side by side, one running natively and the other running in retina (double pixel count for the same resolution) and look at the difference. Same as when I went from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4. The difference was remarkable. It is REALLY hard to go back. I could not fathom using non retina and retina displays side by side.