Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Compatibility - Transfering PT8 projects between Mac and PC

Hi all. I've been using Digi002r and Pro Tools for about five years on different PC's with Windows XP. Now I'm about to enter the Mac world as well since I got a good price on a used iMac and another Digi002r unit. It is also a personal experiment to get my own opinion on the constant Mac vs PC discussion.

My situation is this:
-------------------
I've got a Racktone Grace with Win XP and PT8 in my rehearsal studio and I intend to use the iMac at home. The Racktone will be my main computer where I do mixing and mastering and heavy recording sessions (like drums etc.). The home environment will be used mostly for working with new ideas and additional tracking. It is important that I can move flexibly between these computers. I've also got a bunch of different external hard drives with FW/USB2 support and even one with eSATA.

Are there any special issues to consider regarding moving between these environments, in terms of export/import and compatibility?

I guess there are already lots of good threads on this topic and I gladly invite you to direct me to them if you know of them.

Regards

/KM
Old 11-07-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Compatibility - Transfering PT8 projects between Mac and PC

Hello Mr. Squito & WELCOME to the DUCZ

OK so If it PT8 or even 7.x then u have nothing to worry about...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Since it is a "used" iMac, you need to make sure you use the right versions of the Mac OS, Protools and Plugins. As with the windows platform, it is best to dedicate the computer for Protools and not load up all regular software like MS office, antivrus software, wireless internet, games, etc. Keeping it clean and simple is best. Don't forget to get the required external firewire hard drive.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 AM

Thx for the replies.

I will use both of these computers as dedicated audio machines. They won't even be connected to the Internet so antivirus/firewall is out of the question. I have other computers for everyday use, mail, Internet and office stuff...

New question: Can a Mac read NTFS formatted drives? All of my external drives are currently formatted that way.

Also: Does anyone know of a good starting point for getting to know the Mac OS? I haven't used a Mac for like 17 years or so. In those days they were heaven compared to PC (it was back in the Intel 286/386 processor days just before Windows took over the market).
Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Yes Mac can read that format; I can't remember for sure if u can write to it(I believe so as I know u can write to HFS on PC) I usually keep a mixture of formats which is why I can't remember for certain about Mac writing to NTFS...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM

I beleive that 7.4 and newer on PC can be installed with a Mac HFS drive compatibility. Using a firewire drive with that format would allow for opening the project on either platform. That works for me with my PC/LE system when sharing sessions with a friend's Mac/HD system(we are both on ver. 8 though).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Thumbs up Re: Compatibility - Transfering PT8 projects between Mac and PC

Again, thx for the replies. I just got my iMac today and have done some testing and playing around with recording and moving stuff between Mac and PC. HFS+ was the key to success. Formatting my external drive with HFS+ and using the Windows HFS-support provided with PT8 I can just open and play/record to the same projects using the same files in both worlds. Super! After using PC for the last 17 years I'm back with Mac, and it feels good. And now I can throw my f-n Dell laptop out the window or give it to the kids as an extra multiplayer toy for Christmas.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 AM

Use PARAGON NFTS for OSX:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

To be able to write to NTFS drives

Otherwise format the drives on the Mac as HFS+Journaled and then use Mediafour Macdrive on your PC:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

Either way will work. I think that PT7 and up comes with MAC HFS drives and so you wouldn't need Mediafour software to read a Mac drive if you have PT installed. And so MAcformatted drives will come up.

All the best