Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 AM

Default Re: HD Omni Mini-Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Personally, I would get the MBox and something considerably more worth your while for a lot less money.

Sure, the Omni could potentially be used with the MBox... but for $3000 just to end up using only 2 of the I/O seems like a waste, unless you're preparing for the inevitable.

I recommend pairing an MBox with something more along the lines of an API A2D. Great converters and great pres, and you won't feel like you're missing out on anything. Plus, you can easily find one for half the price of an Omni.

The API A2D will only take me half way. I also need better D/A to my monitors and headphones. That's why I asked if Mbox2Pro + Omni would work.

Unless there is a better AD/DA solution for my Mbox 2 Pro out there ?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM

Your best bet for a high quality D/A and monitor section would be the Dangerous Dbox. If you add the cost of that with the A2D it would be more than the Omni by itself.

However, I'm still not hearing from anyone who's actually set it up to function as a standalone converter. It would be nice to hear from someone who's actually done it.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Is it possible to hear iTunes while PT is open?

That is still the major bummer for me in PT...that I can't listen to references without a lot of hassle

I have digital speakers hooked directly to AES main outputs...so need my soundcard to do all merging/switching.

It will require some tweeking, but I have my OMNI feeding a 5.1 JBL LSR set up using Dsub25 1-6, and also an additional Stereo Auratones from Dsub25 7&8, and also a TV monitor TRS out 1&2. So thus having 3 audio monitoring options. For intput I have Korg Triton going in using an optical and the Mac going in using analogue stereo 1/8 mini out to a Y stereo 1/4" to the inserts.

I have Insert selected on the OMNI, so I can hear everything on the Mac, whether it's iTunes, Quicktime, or youtube, etc. and can record that into a Stereo track as well, which is pretty nifty!

Both the Korg keyboard and mac can be heard whether protools is launched or not. And all this WITH OUT using aggregate, since that really aggregated me.

So thus completely took my mixer out of the loop. Took a while to configure all this, but it works quite well.
Also have the fold down on the Auratones & the Sub (2.1 folddown)so that when I select it, it folds down my 5.1 to stereo when you highlight "ALT".

Hope this helps, if you or anyone wants to know the exact settings/configurations in PT I used, let me know and I'll do a step by step.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Glad to hear you got all that working!

Rather than describing each step, I wonder if there would be a way to export your i/o setup as a template and post it, so that people could just import in into their session.

Either that, or maybe just take a screenshot of the input page, the output page, the bus page, etc. and post them.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM

SDDP,

I know this thread is over a year old, but I'd really love to get a walk-through of this set-up. It sounds like just what I need...

You can get me at laura.taylor at cadillacjack dot com.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuehnl View Post
No. HD OMNI requires 8.1 which requires an Intel Mac which eliminates any machine that supports PCI-x.
Wow, i'm glad I saw this, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on one of these... Too bad, I'm running 8.02 and that's as high as I can go....

I thought these new interfaces were supposed to be compatible with the blue..
PT 8 HD3 accel on G5...

FWIW, my sys is rock solid, sounds great, and confused why Avid did this...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 AM

When you say "compatible with the blue", did you mean the blue interfaces? Because they are compatible with the blue interfaces, meaning you can mix the new ones with the blue ones in any current HD system, including HDX.

That is a completely separate issue from the fact that the system must have PT 8.1 or later to be able to recognize the new HD interfaces.