Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 07-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Parameter labels question

Is the knob parameter labels for the EQ and dynamics modes editable for developers or are they fixed?

I have noticed that many plugins often parameters labels that don't make any sense, especially in dynamics mode.
Like mix wet/dry on a compressor can be labeled "LPFFreq"on the S6.

Is this a plugin developer error or is it a limitation from Avid that it's not possible for developers to set their own labels?
www.parkstudios.se
stefan[at]atlantisstudios.se
Avid S6
EMI TG12345
Neve 8058
Old 07-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: Parameter labels question

Greetings,

There are 2 special function views on S6 - EQ and DYNAMICS. EQ is always associated with a Magenta color while DYNAMICS is identified by a Green color. These modes are in addition to the standard INSERTS and Insert Parameters which is displayed on the surface in a Teal color.

Here's a screen grab from the AAX Pagetable editor showing the dedicated DYN mapping for the plug-in Pro Compressor from Avid:

The parameters shown under Parameter Name are the parameters from the plug-in mapped to the available values labeled Function which are part of the dedicated DYN set. For example, since there is no dedicated Wet/Dry or Mix parameter in the DYN set, parameter Dry Mix was alternately assigned to the knob which otherwise would control Low Pass Frequency. Obviously there are many parameters that line up perfectly such as Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, etc.

Because there is some variance between the parameters contained within different dynamics plug-ins, manufactures can pick and choose how to use the standard DYN set. Again, this is in addition to the standard INSERTS parameters mode which will always show all parameters, just not necessarily in a predictable arrangement.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 PM

Thanks for this post, how did you make a custom XML file for a plug-in map and how would it stick with the system or S6 Surface across sessions and tracks?
Old 10-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Avid

It is currently not possible to create a custom knob map, only faders via an Expand Fader map.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the information, I was hoping I just missed the documentation because of poor searching.

Is there something inherently different on the S6 than the Icon that allowed you to save custom plug-in maps to knobs or is it just a matter of time and you guys are still working on making this possible.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:18 AM

I think that everyone who has an S series console should have access to that Page table editor.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

There are 2 special function views on S6 - EQ and DYNAMICS. EQ is always associated with a Magenta color while DYNAMICS is identified by a Green color. These modes are in addition to the standard INSERTS and Insert Parameters which is displayed on the surface in a Teal color.

Here's a screen grab from the AAX Pagetable editor showing the dedicated DYN mapping for the plug-in Pro Compressor from Avid:

The parameters shown under Parameter Name are the parameters from the plug-in mapped to the available values labeled Function which are part of the dedicated DYN set. For example, since there is no dedicated Wet/Dry or Mix parameter in the DYN set, parameter Dry Mix was alternately assigned to the knob which otherwise would control Low Pass Frequency. Obviously there are many parameters that line up perfectly such as Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, etc.

Because there is some variance between the parameters contained within different dynamics plug-ins, manufactures can pick and choose how to use the standard DYN set. Again, this is in addition to the standard INSERTS parameters mode which will always show all parameters, just not necessarily in a predictable arrangement.

Jeff
Denver, CO
Old 10-30-2019, 08:50 AM
Avid

I’m happy to send it to anyone who wants to play with it however it won’t do you any good as the pagetable gets wrapped into the bundle / package when a developer compiles their plug-in. There is no way for you to alter these (without giving suggestions to the Dev) and having them build a new plug-in including the new pagetable.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I’m happy to send it to anyone who wants to play with it
That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletaudio View Post
Is there something inherently different on the S6 than the Icon that allowed you to save custom plug-in maps to knobs or is it just a matter of time and you guys are still working on making this possible.
I'd love to know.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Avid

Here's the link to Download the Toolkit from the Avid Developer Services site:

DOWNLOAD TOOLKIT

S6 / S4 and ICON are very different animals. I know we certainly want to create an environment where users can define custom encoder mappings however we are not there yet.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
S6 / S4 and ICON are very different animals. I know we certainly want to create an environment where users can define custom encoder mappings however we are not there yet.
Thanks, Jeff, I'm looking forward to the day when you are, this will make the surface much quicker to use! In particular to be able to map to encoders the EQ & Dyn buttons. Not just the Insert button which currently isn't mappable to encoders either from what I can tell.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-30-2019 at 05:57 PM.