Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Post Expand takes to new playlists--can they follow original time stamp?

I've been looking for a way to expand takes to new playlists without all the takes being placed at the same start point. I appreciate these new features in PT8, but I'm frustrated that they seem to be stuck in this loop recording paradigm. Maybe I don't want to go back to the beginning everytime when I'm recording!

Is there a way to expand alternate takes so that they are placed at the location where they were originally recorded?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Expand takes to new playlists--can they follow original time stamp?

bump already--I originally put "time code" in the header, when I meant "time stamp"
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
bump already--I originally put "time code" in the header, when I meant "time stamp"
I'm not on PT8 (7.4.2), and an "expand to spot mode" sounds like a cool idea, but isn't it fairly quick to just enter Spot mode and place them to their original time stamp?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post?... Sorry if I'm being "clueless" here!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
I'm not on PT8 (7.4.2), and an "expand to spot mode" sounds like a cool idea, but isn't it fairly quick to just enter Spot mode and place them to their original time stamp?
Well certainly not as quick as if it were done automatically in the original command. Yes you can do that, but it adds a minute of clicking around if you've got over 10 takes to go through. I just don't understand why people who want to change their punch-in location as they work get the short shrift conceptually.

It all comes back to not wanting to play around with the keyboard between takes as you're recording. This is such a big release for ProTools, and they seem to have ignored, once more, one of the biggest feature requests that repeatedly shows up on this board--a key command for "New Playlist". This "expand" feature helps a little, but the implementation still falls frustratingly short!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
...a key command for "New Playlist"...
Yeah, this one's a real "No-Brainer"...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 AM

This seems to be a real oversight and renders the facility virtually useless...

My Scenario:

I have a piece of modern orchestral music which I am overdubbing an extremely well known violinist for a solo part. He has recorded a beautiful take all the way through, but wishes to correct some phrasing in a few places. Consequently, I am dropping him in using Quick Punch. Please understand, this piece of music is not recorded using a click track, nor should it be because it needs to 'breathe' naturally.
I later come to comp together the various alternate phrasings by using the Expand Alternates to new playlist function. When I do this, all the regions start at wherever the cursor is (not at zero, BTW).

What possible use is this? I need my takes to stay where they should be.

The only way around this is to use the Spot mode and manually enter the original time stamp to the user time stamp FROM THE SAME DIALOGUE BOX!!! for each take. It's ridiculous!

This has to be with the BBC in a few hours and I am spending valuable time manually entering 7 digit numbers from one part of a dialogue into another part, simply so that I can preview each alternate phrasing. This wouldn't be so bad, if I didn't have to do this 50-odd times.

Please Digidesign, this is such a useful feature that has missed the mark totally!!

Unless of course I am missing something????

Cheers,

Jeremy.