Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Pro tools 2018.10 Delay compensation shifting

Hi,

I upgrade my pro tools HD 12.8.3 to Pro tools 2018.7 ultimate and after 2018.10. I have a big problem of delay compensation shifting during the playback. When i start playing the session all is ok. After a time when i add new plug-in remove some one i heard my hithat sound change or in other session if i double the voice track for different fx i can heard the same phasing sound.
If i go to the buffer size and change it all come back ok for a time but after more change of plug-in, routing ect... the problem come back.
I never notice this problem with PT 12 and can't find a solution. Don't have this problem on 2018.10 native with my macbook.

Configuration:

OS X 10.12.6
I7 with 16 GO of Ram memory
SSD for system and session drive
One HDX card with two 192 and one HD IO

Thanks in advance for the help !
Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2018.10 Delay compensation shifting

Might be a bug, but haven't noticed it here - probably some specific plug not correctly reporting latency on a change - a list of plugs in the session might show some likely suspects.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 03-26-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM

I've seen this happen here too. It was triggered every time Protools has a playback error (disk too slow or cpu issue). Changing the buffer (with pressing ok) would fix it. I can't remember when it started but it was way before 2018.7
Old 04-03-2019, 01:40 AM

ok. Me have not this problem on pro tools 12.8.3 start with 2018.

The problem appear clearly when i use parrallel compressioon.
Typical problem : Have all my Buss (drum,bass,guit ect...), I send the drum buss in an other buss with a precision comp from IK. After a time the delay shift completely and you can hear a big phase problem on the Hihat. If i remove the precision comp it seems to be ok. So i try with an other compressor from native instrument the Buss compressor and the problem come again.
I hade this problem too when i doubling some vocal. I have a vocal with an auto-tune, BF-76 and a eq, i duplicate the track to had a one knobe driver and mix the two tracks. After a time a effect of chorus come. I was thinking about problem of pitch correction from auto-tune, but like the other problem if a go to the buffer and change it then come back all is fine for a time.
This things make me crazy !

In the session lot off differents plug-ins from : waves(API,oneknobe,GT Kramer,H-delay),fabfilter(Q2,DS,L2,MB),softube(tape),native instrument(guitare rig), audio ease(altiverb), soundtoys(echoboy,phasemistress,panman), plugin alliance(BX.SSl 4000 channel), ik multimedia (precision-comp), sknote (disto-s)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaman View Post
ok. Me have not this problem on pro tools 12.8.3 start with 2018.

The problem appear clearly when i use parrallel compressioon.
Typical problem : Have all my Buss (drum,bass,guit ect...), I send the drum buss in an other buss with a precision comp from IK. After a time the delay shift completely and you can hear a big phase problem on the Hihat. If i remove the precision comp it seems to be ok. So i try with an other compressor from native instrument the Buss compressor and the problem come again.
I hade this problem too when i doubling some vocal. I have a vocal with an auto-tune, BF-76 and a eq, i duplicate the track to had a one knobe driver and mix the two tracks. After a time a effect of chorus come. I was thinking about problem of pitch correction from auto-tune, but like the other problem if a go to the buffer and change it then come back all is fine for a time.
This things make me crazy !

In the session lot off differents plug-ins from : waves(API,oneknobe,GT Kramer,H-delay),fabfilter(Q2,DS,L2,MB),softube(tape),native instrument(guitare rig), audio ease(altiverb), soundtoys(echoboy,phasemistress,panman), plugin alliance(BX.SSl 4000 channel), ik multimedia (precision-comp), sknote (disto-s)

Did you ever fix this? I am having exactly the same problem. It is with parallel compression. trying pro tools for the first time in a number of years - i want to come back to it, but this is really off putting.
The most expensive DAW on the market should have absolutely no problems when it comes to PDC - specially as it is the mixers choice'

That and the fact i have to get ultimate to have all the automation features.
Really trying to find excuses to sign up for a year but if i am battling PDC non stop it is not going to be worth it. Yikes
Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 PM

the problem can be when the plug in is not reporting the correct amount of delay that it is incurring to PT. I have had issues with IK plug ins for years with parallel processing and the work around was to have the IK plug in on both busses but one comp set at 1:1. Try other plug ins and see if you are still having this issue. I am on 2018 PTU HD Native and do not encounter this problem.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com