Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2002, 05:44 PM

Default Which monitor stands?

I already asked in the 001 forum but I thought I'd look for more opinions here:

I am the new happy owner of a pair of Genelec 1030a, and I'm looking for 36'' stands for them: I think it'd be better than to leave them on my desk.

However, I don't know which stands are better or if there is a noticeable difference, or if you might have any tips on the subject?

Thanks.

6am eternal
Old 01-15-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Which monitor stands?

I like Sound Anchors (Studio Adjustable model).

You'll see them in the Digi PT print ads, holding Genelecs.

I use them with my 1031s. Great fit. Very solid and stable. Tight sound.

Hope this helps.

soundanchors.com
Old 01-15-2002, 07:16 PM

Thanks, it does help, but they are a bit expensive.....I'm wondering if there is so much of a difference to justify this price?

6am eternal
Old 01-16-2002, 07:53 AM

I got Genelec 1031 A's, I built my own, of plywood, filled with sand and a nice wood top to put the speaker on, works great, looks good and didnt cost me more than about $75.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:26 AM

Go to M.J Designs or Michael's or whatever craft store you've got around. Buy three plaster pedestals that are 36" high. On your way home stop by home depot and get two bags of sakcrete, primer, 6 tee nuts and screws. Mix the sakrete into a good slurry, make a funnel with a large sheet of cardboard and pour the stuff into the pedestal shaking the pedestal occassionally as you fill it. When it's set, prime it, then drill three holes for the tee nuts into the top of the pedestal and expoxy them in place. Grind the ends of the screws down to a sharp point and cut off the heads. Screw these into the tee nuts eith the point sticking up. Set your speakers down carefully on the sharpened screws. You now have your Genelecs coupled to about 80lbs of concrete. I suggest 3 pedestals because invarible one breaks. Fillers like structurlite use chemical hardeners that heat up when setting. This will splinter the plaster. I thought about sand but figured as it settled that it would bust the bottom of the pedestal and I'd have 100lbs of sand on my control floor. Total cost about $23 each.