Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Laptop causing some weird sound issues...

Has anyone else had any trouble with their laptop computer causing some strange hiss or noises to occur while using a mixer plugged into an Mbox?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Laptop causing some weird sound issues...

Quote:
Has anyone else had any trouble with their laptop computer causing some strange hiss or noises to occur while using a mixer plugged into an Mbox?
Yeah,It might be your power cable on your laptop,unplug it then try it,I have the same problem that I can't fix.....(ground loop problem)
Old 01-28-2006, 08:25 AM

So if you are recording with the power cable off and just running the computer on battery power then you are not having the problem? It kind of seems like that is what it is because when the computer is doing things then you can hear the sounds changing through the headphones. I will try it. Glad to know that I am not the only one out there with the problem! Thanks!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 AM

Okay, you were right. I unplugged the power cable from the computer and the sound went away. Now, does anyone know how to correcct this little problem??? I have a Furman RP-8 that I am running the mixer and effects into and then I am running the computer power cable to the wall. Do I need to run the computer cable through the Furman with the other things to eliminate the loop? Second question...is this loop a localized thing here in my music room or if I take the Mbox/computer/mixer out to record somewhere will the loop occur from any electrical source? Just wondering..thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Some details on ground loops.

~

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-28-2006, 03:02 PM

I had the same problem. Runnining on battery alone solved the noise problem. This led to adding a cheapo ground lift adapter onto the laptop's 3 pronged plug. Works great.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Okay, here is what I have narrowed it down to. I unplug the power cable and the sound goes away. Nice! I record for about 20 minutes and the battery goes dead. How much power does the Mbox pull!! So, does anyone think that getting a new power cable for my computer will have any effect? Maybe my battery has gone bad...
Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Ground lift adapter??
Old 01-28-2006, 03:07 PM

Oh yeah, those are those things that everyone has a junk drawer full of!! Changes the three prong to two and then has the little metal thing that you screw onto the center screw of your outlet plate. Does anyone ever actually screw that thing on there?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Okay, now that is just wrong! Something as simple as that??? I got into my junk drawer and found the ground lift adapter. Plugged it on there and viola, no more noise. I was about to go out and spend a bunch on a new AC adapter for my computer! Thanks for the help!!!!