Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
I just don’t understand how they are justifying this considering the price and capability of the competition. Pro Tools is no longer “the industry standard” as most of the industry (music-wise) has moved onto project studios where many are using other DAWs. Pro Tools users really haven’t gotten much innovation at all since Pro Tools 12 released. For vanilla users, we mostly got a bunch of hand-me-down features from HD. And sorry to say, no one is using CC. And most of us more experienced users are not using tech support. I’ve been a Pro Tools user since 2008 and have yet to call tech support at all.

Logic Pro is still fixed at $199. Studio One is fixed at $399. Reaper is $60. Cubase is fixed at $550. Yet we have paid more than all of these since 12 and have gotten barely any ground breaking features to this day. And now we are being asked to pay double for the same slow service. Blows my mind.

I’m a PT Ultimate Perpetual license user and heard about this a few days ago And just got an email where now I have to sign over my payment schedule to another company if not I’ll leave my perpetual license this year but,with those prices for Cubase / Logic Studio One / Abelton /Reaper $60!! you mentioned ect there FIXED BUY PRICES! You own it !!(remember that notion?!)) not per month/yearly rental wich is beyond Logic!! (no pun intended ))....but there’s not even a “hire purchase service” like Waves or anything,where you own it after 24 months no.....sorry can’t justify the prices and uncertainty for the “privileage” of using PT anymore as much as I’m used to it,and happy (for the most part) except when it crashes 10 times in a row wich has NEVER happened with Cubase or Logic.i don’t know if anyone else feels like AVID have been laughing their fat butts off at us for a long time even with their hardware software bundles but I don’t accept anymore.....16 years of hard use of PT and I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 AM

There's a poll for vanilla perpetual license holders over at a famous gear forums, asking what they are planning to do after the price adjustments, and amongst 41 voters not a single one voted for the "Surrender your perpetual license for the subscription crossgrade offer." option.

Interestingly over 50% of voters have already decided not to give another dime to Avid, either by switching DAWs now or letting their upgrade plan expire.

About 27% say they will buy upgrade renewal(s) before July 1st, then switch to another DAW or let the upgrade plan expire.

Less than 15% are willing to pay 199$ for their upgrades.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybot View Post
just got an email where now I have to sign over my payment schedule to another company
This has nothing to do with the price adjustments. Avid is just changing to another company for e-commerce in the future. It is a legit email which only requires your consent to copy your personal data over to the next company. See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405298
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
That's the whole point there, for me anyway. it,s not paying 101% more. It's getting less and less for your money everytime they change their policies. PT 12 arrived with no new features(can you believe that!!) with the promise of regular new updates. It lasted a while and then the new versions were more separate in time. Then PT 2018, new way to name with the .X being the month. Again, the promise that regular updates will come. It lasted a while and now updates are every 6 months.

You can be sure that once they have enough people on subscriptions the monthly price will raise with less features and people will be screwed because they don't have any choice but to continue to pay if they want to use the software or reopen older projects.

Blink
I guess, that the next release will have some feature from the Ultimate version (something that has insignificant cost to develop), to somehow justify the renewal price increase for Pro Tools Standard and maybe one new feature like for example Folder Tracks (relatively easy to implement), so they can have something to market, create some "hype" and call it a day.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
.. create some "hype" and call it a day.

Cheers!
You mean like a ”Game Changer” as Avid loves to use that phrase ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Seems like Avid doesn't know if there will be a reinstatement for Vanilla. I quote some answers I have from them:

First answer about if how much it will be charging for Vanilla reinstate:
"Thank you for contacting Avid.

Based on the price change that will take place on July 1, unfortunately, there will be no upgrade reinstatement plan available anymore.
The only options to get to the latest version of Pro Tools, if you have an expired annual update and support plan, are to purchase either an annual or monthly subscription."

Second answer after I asked about if I'd loose the perpetual licence if I do a annual or monthly subscription:
"Apologies for my first response.
I just received word from my team, that upgrades are still being evaluated.
Rest assured that we are going to update further you regarding this."
Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM

I believe sharing confidential discussion is against the forum rules.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Ok, sorry I guess I skipped that part on reading the rules about it. Feel free to delete the post.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:22 PM

...anyway, I feel so let down by Avid with this decision that the only thing I could do is freeze my system and hold it until it will no longer go on future computers and than switch back to the trusty Nuendo. And of course, not recommend it to any of my audio pro colleagues anymore.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It doesn't appear to be. At least I can't see anything about that in the forum rules.