Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Default about Digi 003 outputs level, and TRS patching

Dear Duc family,

I've noticed that the output level on the digi003 8 rear outputs is really loud.

When I route a track to the performer headphones on a distant room, not via hardware headphone outputs but a channel from the 8 assignable rear outputs, the signal that reaches the mixer that feeds the performer headphones is so loud that sometimes even clips on the mixer input using a normal non clipping 0 level (green) on PT.

I mostly have to drop the level on PT so the headphone mixer doesn't receive a signal that is too loud, but I'm concerned that something could be wrong that makes the signal sound that loud, and eventually clip on the listener end.

I using TRS to XLR patched cords. The digi ouputs are mono and so are the TRS plugs. To patch the XLR end, I soldered the ground and negative cables.

Should this outputs be so loud ?
Do you consider something could be wrong ?

Thanks for reading.

Juan Manuel
Argentina
Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Re: about Digi 003 outputs level, and TRS patching

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunmanuek View Post
Dear Duc family,

I've noticed that the output level on the digi003 8 rear outputs is really loud.

When I route a track to the performer headphones on a distant room, not via hardware headphone outputs but a channel from the 8 assignable rear outputs, the signal that reaches the mixer that feeds the performer headphones is so loud that sometimes even clips on the mixer input using a normal non clipping 0 level (green) on PT.

Should this outputs be so loud ?
Do you consider something could be wrong ?

Thanks for reading.

Juan Manuel
Argentina
Are you running it at +4 into a -10 system? Try the switches in the back of the 003.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM

You probably need to setup a master fader for each stereo output, just as you would for your master mix. I use the outputs on the 003+ for 4 separate headphone mixes and I have a master setup for each in the session (which are usually turned down a bit from zero). Mostly I use the one going to the vocal booth, and since the singers always want their vocals up in the mix the signal can be easily overloaded. I usually use the same pan/volume settings going to the booth headphone mix as the main mix and then adjust it as they need it. Of course, you could always just turn down all the individual sends to their mix, but it's easier for me just to use a master. If you're going to be using the outputs as separate headphone mixes often, I'd recommend making some session templates. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM

If you are sending from the TRS jacks on the 003 to a mixer, you need to patch into the mixer's LINE inputs. Feeding a +4 signal(from the 003) into the mic input on a mixer(xlr) will overload for sure. While some PRO mixers can handle +4 on the xlr, most budget mixers can't.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you are sending from the TRS jacks on the 003 to a mixer, you need to patch into the mixer's LINE inputs. Feeding a +4 signal(from the 003) into the mic input on a mixer(xlr) will overload for sure. While some PRO mixers can handle +4 on the xlr, most budget mixers can't.
Sounds good, I'll check that out.

THanks !