Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 02:12 PM

Default OT: Any Advantage of Having 2 PCs?

I have an old P4 that I'm thinking of selling but don't think I'll get more than $375 for which is sickening considering how much I paid for it. Would there be an advantage of souping it up and adding it to my setup (Allentstein, 002, Reason)? What would/do you do with 2 PCs?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: OT: Any Advantage of Having 2 PCs?

You could use it to run Gigastudio...

Old 11-19-2003, 03:00 PM

hookiefree,
If you do decide to sell it, I have a young guitarist friend(16) who's looking to buy a used pc with his part-time job bucks. Email me if you do go that way, and let me know the specs... thanks, Roy
Old 11-19-2003, 03:29 PM

I came across the same question back when I bought a new PC to run ProTools.

I ended up keeping the second PC as a home computer where I do all of my non-ProTools stuff (i.e. Graphic Design, Web Design, Programming, etc..). I also keep all of my other music software there for fear of it not playing nice with ProTools.

The new computer only has ProTools installed and that is the only thing I use it for.

Then I networked the two together to transer data/music from one to the other. (Keeping in mind that I only enable the network connection when I need to transfer data since enable networks/network cards don't play nice with ProTools...)
Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 PM

My old machine is my main internet computer and also sort of a test bed for new software that I am considering running on my PT computer. I do sometimes run other programs on it such as Sound Forge so I can export bounced PT files over to the old 'puter to fool around with the mastering plugs in that program. I can bounce a session, shoot it over the network to the old machine and have it processing while I am still running PT on the new machine. I also have RealVNC running on both machines to allow me to access the desktop of the old machine from my PT computer. I can actually bring up my email program in a window on the PT machine with very little impact on the memory and CPU of the new machine. Check this program out if you are interested in doing this. It is free and so far seems to be stable and has caused me no probs with PTLE. It is sort of like a PC Anywhere Lite type of program.

Oh and if you decide to try the RealVNC program, be sure to get the verion 4 beta. It fixes some minor annoyances that the previous version had with regards to the mouse speed on the viewing computer.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:42 PM

real vnc is deffinatly a nice little program to have
Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 PM

Quote:
My old machine is my main internet computer and also sort of a test bed for new software
Exactly what I do,keep the net away from my DAW.Also,once the VST-RTAS adapter comes around,FX Teleport will become an interesting possibility www.fxteleport.com/ letting you off load some DSP onto your second machine.Definitley keep the second machine.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 PM

Have you tried the version 4.0 beta yet? I just got it today and it seems much faster than previous versions. The mouse was always a little twitchy in the previous versions I had used but that is fixed now. Very nice program......
Old 11-19-2003, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I do,keep the net away from my DAW.Also,once the VST-RTAS adapter comes around,FX Teleport will become an interesting possibility www.fxteleport.com/ letting you off load some DSP onto your second machine. Definitley keep the second machine.
Man this sounds like a winner if it will work with the adapter. This is just what we need for PTLE I think...... Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Man this sounds like a winner if it will work with the adapter. This is just what we need for PTLE I think...... Thanks for pointing this out.
It already works fine with the VST-DX adapter with Sonar and other VST only hosts,so whatever VST plugins the VST-RTAS adapter works with can be teleported.Great for CPU hungry VSTi's.The only catch is you have to have the same Vst plugs installed on both PC's and can only tweak the plugs on the other machine,but a reasonable trade off nonetheless.