Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2002, 01:02 PM

Default Re: XP Sessions vs 98SE Sessions

I have NTFS running on the system drive
but my sessions drive is still FAT32.
No problems so far.
However I can't answer your question since i have no
sessions in NTFS.
Any stability issues will be on the NTFS system drive where my programs are running from and the page file is located.
Not worried about making the sessions NTFS unless I plan on a file size of over 40 GIG.
I heard somewhere the FAT32 is a little faster for
storing session data than NTFS so that could be another reason for just staying with FAT on the session drive.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:11 PM

There is a good discussion on this here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=007579
Old 06-27-2002, 01:24 PM

There is one issue I forgot to mention and that is the dual boot issue. If you intend to go back and run Win 98 or ME for some reason then
the session drive will have to be FAT.
That is the case with me I have my system drive in a removable drive enclosure where I can swap system drives
so I don't want the session drive to be NTFS where Win 98 can't read it.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:45 PM

After reading both threads I've come to the conclusion that know one knows. So I think I'll stick w/ FAT32 on the audio drive for now. Until I get some possitive feedback from an NTFS guy w/ some time under his belt.

chris
I did make my system NTFS already. I really like XP as an OS, it's a little cartoonish looking though.

chris
Old 06-27-2002, 01:52 PM

Since it is a fact that 5.1.1 (on 9x) cannot read NTFS formatted partitions, the answer to what file system your common audio drive should use in order to be accessible to both XP and 9x should be unabiguously clear. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The determining factor is: are you wanting to use a swappable system drive or dual boot situation to access your audio drive, or are you completely XP?
If XP only, then NTFS will be fine.

You can modify the look of XP and get rid of the Fisher-Price Disney GUI.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:01 PM

Stone, I know you can change the look... I'll deal w/ the cartoon for now. So your saying from experience that NTFS works on the audio drive?? I'm not dual booting or worried about compatibility w/ any Win9x machines. My computer will be 100% XP but I don't want to change the files and not be able to get into my Protools sessions. So I'll ask again, you're running both your drives w/ NTFS and everything is working swell??

chris
Old 06-27-2002, 02:09 PM

Sure! XP uses NTFS and so writing to NTFS is completely compatible. Doesn't that make sense? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I mean, If you didn't have a second HDD or partition formatted differently, you'd be writing to NTFS. That's what all the 'Dell-Way' machines do.

I have a dual-boot deal going here so my audio drive is still Fat32, to accomodate both.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll stick w/ FAT32 on the audio drive until someone whose running NTFS on both chimes in w/ rave reviews though. I'm w/ you, it should be no problem but I ain't no guinea pig [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

chris
oink
Old 06-27-2002, 03:13 PM

When I loaded XP I selected the NFTS format and opted to change the files from FAT32 to NFTS. The few previous sessions that were in there would not open after this. I don't remember the error message but they wouldn't open. Both drives are NFTS now. All is fine. I'm no expert so this is just my word of warning...

Old 06-27-2002, 06:08 PM

only thing i've noticed is that my session from Windows Me that i loaded into XP was extremly processor hungery.

However a larger session created in XP didnt cause any problems, strange but thats how it happened.