Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Default MIDI Mute Record-Armed Instrument Track?

I'm new to MIDI recording so maybe this is obvious, but I don't understand why I'm unable to mute MIDI on an instrument track that is record-armed.

In my case I'm using a Yamaha DTX700 drum module with its audio out and MIDI in/out through Scarlett 18i20 interface. I know there's a bunch of monitor routing options between the interface and the instrument track, but say I'm either (near)zero-latency monitoring via the interface with audio muted on the track, or even letting audio go through the track and mixed in with the usual monitor buss(es)...either way why would I want MIDI data to be sent back to the DTX700 when recording? I would think this would be a typical scenario recording MIDI instruments so this would be a typical issue for everyone.

What is the reasoning behind this? Sure, I can turn off MIDI-receive on the DTX700 while recording but with all the cool options on the instrument track why can't I just enable the MIDI mute button and not have to also set up the drum module?
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface
KRK Rokit 5 Monitors
Yamaha DTX700 Drum Module
Nektar Impact LX49+ MIDI Controller

Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Re: MIDI Mute Record-Armed Instrument Track?

You should be able to go to the top of the Instrument track(View>Mix Window Shows> Instrument) and assign it to none for the output when I was doing the same with a Roland TD-10 kit, I just unplugged the midi cable going back to the brain, but that's tough to do if you are using it via a USB port(score 1 for old-fashioned midi cables)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave