Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Default "Sticky" for Correct Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools!

Hello AVID,

As an owner of Pro Tools 10, PTIEP (Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack), and various other plug-ins like TL Space Native, etc..., I'm completely confused on how to perform the Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools correctly.

I would greatly appreciate it (as I'm sure others would), if you would create a "Sticky" on how perform the whole process of uninstalling-reinstalling Pro Tools and other AVID software/plug-ins correctly!

In my set up for example:

Should I choose "Safe" or "Clean" uninstall?
If I choose "Clean" uninstall, will this delete the PTIEP, TL Space Native, etc..

The PTIEP installer has still not been updated and will install files into the "Digidesign" folder, which since the release of PT 10, has now become obsolete and been replaced with the "AVID" folder.

After the uninstall, do I run the Pro Tools 10.3 Installer then run the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer and that's it? Or... Do I need to run the Pro Tools 10.3 Installer again after the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer?

And so on...

Again... I find the whole process unnecessarily confusing!

As a PT user since the Version 6 days, I do not remember (other than 10.2), ever having to uninstall Pro Tools every time an update became available.

FWIW... When it came time to install 10.2, I was told over the phone by AVID support to choose the "Safe" uninstall option.

Thanks for your help with this matter!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 17-inch (Early 2011), 2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8GB SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 RPM, Lion 10.7.4

Pro Tools 10.2.0, Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack, TL Space Native, MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ 3.0 (RTAS).
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Re: "Sticky" for Correct Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools!

Or you could just read the "Pro Tools Installation" pdf in your Documentation folder. "Clean" and "Safe" uninstalls are covered in detail there as well as proper install procedures.

It's really not confusing at all, but you do seem to have picked up some erroneous information somewhere. I.e., there's no reason to uninstall any prior versions when upgrading. I have never done this and have never had any issues when installing updates on top of old versions of PT. I just updated from 10.2 to 10.3 this way and had zero issues. The only reason to uninstall is as a troubleshooting step if things aren't working correctly.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM

+1

izzi63 - you've summed up the confusion perfectly!

I was planning to upgrade to 10.3 (+ OSX 10.8.2) over this weekend ... but having reviewed my own posts from some months back (wherein I 'published' my process/learning from my initial PTIEP installation), the addition of a new 10.3 VI installer and requirement for a clean install is making me hesitate (+ these are big downloads)!

To this end, I've posted in the Mac and VI forums today ... in case anyone has completed this process successfully?!

Sticky, support/knowledgebase article, ... whatever, but someone at Avid could surely communicate the correct procedure??!!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Ah sorry, I missed the part about having the extra instrument pack. Can't help you there, but on the PT side upgrades are easy, just download and install and g2g.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

KMcK,

From the Pro Tools 10.3 Installation Guide on page 6.

"If you are upgrading Pro Tools, be sure to uninstall any lower version of ProTools from your computer. See “Uninstalling ProTools” on page14."

And from page 14...

"Safe Uninstall Leaves certain plug-ins and system files needed for compatibility with some Avid products. Use Safe Uninstall if you are using an Avid application or preparing to update to a CS (customer support) release.

Clean Uninstall Removes all ProTools files, including system files, Avid plug-ins, and MIDI patch names. Use Clean Uninstall whenever you are preparing to upgrade, or to troubleshoot from a clean system."

Is this really clearly telling me what's going to be left "untouched" or "deleted"?

You got the erroneous information right though and that's what this Thread is about!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM

One thing you have to understand about Avid, is that they HATE providing support to their customers. I'd bet dollars to donuts they only put that language about uninstalling first in in order to keep support traffic down since a clean install has a better chance of working if the current install is somehow corrupted, although apparently it's having the reverse effect as people are now confused even more if posts like this are popping up.

As I said previously I've had no problems upgrading from 10.0 to 10.2 to 10.3 w/o doing any uninstalls. Both my rigs are running great under heavy daily use. YMMV.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
See, one thing you have to understand about Avid, is that they HATE providing support to their customers. I'd bet dollars to donuts they only put that language about uninstalling first in in order to keep support traffic down since a clean install has a better chance of working if the current install is somehow corrupted, although apparently it's having the reverse effect as people are now confused even more.
We actually recommend uninstalling because we had testers (internal and beta) experience problems running the installer over existing installs. So, do we win the dollars or the donuts?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Neither. Instead of providing info on which systems might experience issues, you make it a blanket "everyone must do this" statement? Sounds like testing/support were a little rushed then eh? Well, I'm here to tell you 10.2 doesn't need to be uninstalled on either a 2010 Mac Pro or 2012 MPB running HD Native before upgrading to 10.3, feel free to add it to your compatibility docs, no charge.

Anyway, apologies to the OP, hope you get the info you're looking for!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM

I followed a clean uninstall of 10.2. I have EWQL reverbs, TL space, and PTIEP.

Installed 10.3. Then installed the new VI's over my existing. All is well and I am ML 10.8.2.

Even Kontakt 5 is working well after a couple of hiccups.

As nearly everyone says CLONE UR DRIVE prior to the upgrade so if u r not happy u can go back.

Helpful I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Avid

Post Re: "Sticky" for Correct Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi63 View Post
Should I choose "Safe" or "Clean" uninstall?
If I choose "Clean" uninstall, will this delete the PTIEP, TL Space Native, etc..
Clean uninstall removes 'core' plug-ins, drivers, etc., but since PTIEP and TL Space are 'add-on' plugins they will not be removed by either uninstall method.

Quote:
The PTIEP installer has still not been updated and will install files into the "Digidesign" folder, which since the release of PT 10, has now become obsolete and been replaced with the "AVID" folder.
After the uninstall, do I run the Pro Tools 10.3 Installer then run the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer and that's it? Or... Do I need to run the Pro Tools 10.3 Installer again after the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer?
Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack and Avid Virtual Instruments installers are 2 different animals. PTIEP installs Hybrid, Structure, Strike, Transfuser and Velvet. AVI installs Boom, DB-33, Mini Grand, Structure Free, Vacuum, Xpand2, and the AIR effects. If you did a clean uninstall of PT, then you'll need to run the Avid Virtual Instruments in addition to the PT installer.

Quote:
As a PT user since the Version 6 days, I do not remember (other than 10.2), ever having to uninstall Pro Tools every time an update became available.
FWIW... When it came time to install 10.2, I was told over the phone by AVID support to choose the "Safe" uninstall option.
The Installation Guide linked from the 10.2 and 10.3 pages recommends this.

Quote:
Thanks for your help with this matter!
You're welcome.