Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2001, 08:41 AM

Default Am I being taken advantage of?

I'm the new "Pro Tools" guy at a well known studio in Toronto. My boss says that since he only has a digi001/SSD setup to offer clients, he can't charge as much per hour for it's use since it is a "low-end system." And, because of this, when I'm called in to work on projects, I get paid $10.00/hour. I go...cause I need the money and finding jobs in this field is tough.

Recently at the studio, I completed a project for a band which involved ADAT transfers of 9 songs to Pro Tools, extensive editing/automation and finally syncing/laying back to the Studer 2" via the SSD (yes...I did say "low-end.") Amazingly, I got it to lock nice and tight and the tracks sounded great through Neve and API mic-pres...2" 30ips helps too!
I am now working with a band that is signed to Korn's Elementree records and the wage is the same. And, there is a really big (a la G-g-g-garth) project coming up in June which I will be performing my skills once again.

My experience with Pro Tools goes back 5 years (even further back if you include my MIDI experience and college engineering degree) to when I first started using the PowerMix version on my own projects, and then later on a friends PT III system. I now use a digi001 at home for my personal use.

Without giving out a full resume of my background, am I being taken advantage of? (I guess I already answered this myself.)

Anybody out there wanna hire a Pro Tools whore? You can email me direct: [email protected].

Do what you want...
I'm going cheap...
Old 05-17-2001, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Am I being taken advantage of?

Are you getting paid 10 Canadian bucks an hour? Under the table? Either way I'd say you are getting ripped off. Mcdonalds will pay you, like, 9 an hour in my area (Massachusetts).

And it seems strange that this studio hasn't invested in a Mix+ system, of course maybe it doesn't considering he only wants to pay you 10 an hour.

I say keep working through this next project. Then put it on a resume and move on.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:16 AM

Frankly, I think you should be getting more. I work in Post-Production, so the pay rates are a bit different. If I were you, I'd try for more. Here are a few question to ponder:
1. Can the studio really replace you with someone equally competant at $10/hour?
2. Is it worth it for them to take the time and trouble to find this other person?
3. Most importantly, do you belive you should be making more, and are you ready to walk if you don't get it? (the confidence to walk is really key here)

My take is this: It's better to work 10 hours at $20/hour than 20 hours at $10/hour. You've worked hard to be good at your job, and you should be compensated for that. The fact that its music is irrelevant. It seems that people try to sell you on the idea that it's music, and really cool and therefore you should be happy to work for substandard wages. This is a business were in here, not some sort of charity work. The money's there, its just a question of who gets it.
Heh heh, you got me worked up! -p

ps. do you know how much the studio is charging for this service? Finding this out will help your bargaining position a lot.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:30 AM

Neve and API Mic Pres, a Studer 2" and a Digi 001???
They can´t afford a Mix + or stuff?
OK to me Studer and Neve is not what I call "Low End".
But anyway: I´m working with the Digi 001
myself (as some kind of freelancer) and I think get more than 10 bucks/hour.
I would seriously doubt that job...

------------------
Old 05-17-2001, 09:42 AM

"am I being taken advantage of?"

Yes. Big time. There are people making coffee at starbucks who are making more than that.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:55 AM

Wow!
I gotta go there...
Old 05-17-2001, 11:11 AM

Same ********goes on in Long Island Studios

I can only pay you 15 bucks an hour to make them 90 or more

The best I heard was that I was working too fast and not booking enough time for the work, I can't help it that the owner works at a 10th of the speed I do. Charge more an hour and pay me my 30/hr

------------------
[email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Long Live Nubus and TI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-17-2001, 03:54 PM

Have you looked at audio post (TV, film, commercials)?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:12 AM

Hey,
From your story it seems as though you're not just using PT but also a 2". Well I don't understand why the studio rate is lower, because you are using the 2" and PT. I would be charging the normal rate plus maybe an additional amount for PT.

Example:
Studio w/2" = $65 per hour
Studio w/PT = $ 50 per hour

Studio w/both = $75 per hour

Now if the entire session was PT and the studio charged less would be one thing. But your boss is asking you to run the PT in addition to normal studio routine.
I think you are defintley being taken advantage of. but maybe the studio is also.
Just my thoughts.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:57 AM

Thanks for all of your responses.

Studio A, which has a Quad8 Coronado, Studer A-827, Ampex ATR-104 and numerous outboard costs $55/hr (all of this is in Canadian currency...but, let's not go there). The rate for Studio B (where the digi001 is setup) is $30/hr. The studio really can't charge anymore, because 1) that's the amount our clients are willing to pay and 2) another studio in Toronto has an SSL 9000J that charges $75/hr...they set the rates for the area basically.

If any big label bands need 'Tooling done at the studio I'm at (and _if_ they can afford it), they hire an outside PT editor who has a full blown Mix Plus with three 888s and a MicroLynx. Some bands we get can't even afford the $30/hr for my digi001 'Tooling.

And that is my problem. With the money I'm making, I can't afford to spend $20K on PT Mix system. And, even if I did, Toronto isn't a hotbed for big label bands (this isn't LA or NY or the UK). That SSL 9000J studio I mentioned above recently hosted the Cranberries who recorded their _demo_ there! Also, if I left, where would I go? Practically every studio in Toronto is owned and operated by the engineer who also owns the gear...you all know the story. An investment in Pro Tools would look good on anybody's resume. How many of you here own Pro Tools and are also the owner of the studio as well?

Maybe all this is just a synopsis of the state of recording studios in Toronto?

If I worked at McDonald's or StarBucks, I wouldn't be "in the door." heh

[This message has been edited by HealRegion (edited May 17, 2001).]