Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 AM

Default gating-ducking help plz.

Hi all,

I'm a LE 8 user.
I have two tracks in a project both routing to the main output.I tried to use the expander/gate Dyn 3 on one of them (the target) and feed it's side chain input whith the incoming signal of the other track (source) in order to Duck it.
but whenever a signal comes into the sidechain,I here my traget track plays simultanesly with the source one..what I need is to revere the process of gating here..how can I achieve it with protools plugins ?

hope i could explain my aim well.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Re: gating-ducking help plz.

It sound clicked the button to monitor the side-chain input, just click it again....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrad View Post
Hi all,

I'm a LE 8 user.
I have two tracks in a project both routing to the main output.I tried to use the expander/gate Dyn 3 on one of them (the target) and feed it's side chain input whith the incoming signal of the other track (source) in order to Duck it.
but whenever a signal comes into the sidechain,I here my traget track plays simultanesly with the source one..what I need is to revere the process of gating here..how can I achieve it with protools plugins ?

hope i could explain my aim well.
Use the compressor instead of the gate...(Compressor/Limiter Dyn 3)

Set the threshold really low, attack very fast, release medium. Gain at 0, ratio 100:1. Whenever the signal is present in the side chain, it will pull the audio track down to the threshold level.

You'll have to play with it a little bit to get it just right. Maybe a 10:1 ratio will work better for you... maybe different attack and release settings or different knee settings.

But I use this all the time for listenback mics. I use a 1KHz sine wave on a track sent to the key input of the compressor on the listenback mic. I set the threshold to -60, attack 10us, ratio 100:1, release 1000ms. Whenever I hit play and the Sine wave starts playing, it effectively mutes/ducks the listenback mic so I can't hear it. As soon as I hit stop, the compressor opens up and the mic signal is heard again.

You can do the same thing to a lesser extent by playing with the threshold, ratio and att/rel settings.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Tnx very much for quick replies friends