Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 AM

Default A quick question about auto-tuning and midi

Hello All,

Besides Roland V-Vocal which I think is only available via Sonar, is there an application which process vocals into the consitutent notes and then map those notes to midi port within the software. This then allows the port to source midi data to drive another software or hardware device to essential work as voice to midi conversion tool?

I was under the impression that AutoTune had this functionality but at our studio we tried to detect this feature and perhaps due to operator ignorance we failed to find a way.

I am thinking that Melodyne has such a feature, but still I am uncertain about this.

Any advice would help.

Over view of concept?

[vocal track] --> [Note analysis] --> [scale mapping] --> [export note mappings either as physical midi content or drive a midi port] --> [route data to generator] -- play both tracks for interesting effects (but have Auto-Tuning drive the quantization of the audio).

Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Default Re: A quick question about auto-tuning and midi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruff View Post

Hello All,

Besides Roland V-Vocal which I think is only available via Sonar, is there an application which process vocals into the consitutent notes and then map those notes to midi port within the software. This then allows the port to source midi data to drive another software or hardware device to essential work as voice to midi conversion tool?

I was under the impression that AutoTune had this functionality but at our studio we tried to detect this feature and perhaps due to operator ignorance we failed to find a way.

I am thinking that Melodyne has such a feature, but still I am uncertain about this.

Any advice would help.

Over view of concept?

[vocal track] --> [Note analysis] --> [scale mapping] --> [export note mappings either as physical midi content or drive a midi port] --> [route data to generator] -- play both tracks for interesting effects (but have Auto-Tuning drive the quantization of the audio).

Melodyne Studio does this. Expensive but wonderful piece of kit
Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM

I think the midi functionality in Autotune is that you can set a target pitch for the audio using a midi track with the correct notes on it.

I don't think it works the other direction. You need some sort of audio-to-midi conversion. Melodyne Cre8 and Studio both offer that. I only have the Melodyne plugin so don't know how WELL that feature works, but I'm sure it's at least usable.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
I think the midi functionality in Autotune is that you can set a target pitch for the audio using a midi track with the correct notes on it.

I don't think it works the other direction. You need some sort of audio-to-midi conversion. Melodyne Cre8 and Studio both offer that. I only have the Melodyne plugin so don't know how WELL that feature works, but I'm sure it's at least usable.

Thank you all for your replies, I will surely investigate the capabilty of Melodyne.