Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Default LGA2011, i7 3960x

I'm wondering about something, I'm planning to build a Pro Tools HD rig. But, I want to use the newest processor that intel is coming out with to build my dream 12 core computer. As, you can see from the title of this tread those are the things I like to know if will work with PT in an HD system.

Here's the basic idea I have on the parts for my build that I'm going to do and I want to know if these parts will work with pro tools. The Part list is: LGA2011 motherboard, i7 3960x processor ( two of these when the newer motherboard that supports dual CPU's), Radeon 7970 Black edition, G.Skill 96GB Ram kit. These are just the basic parts that I want to know if will work in my creation of an HD rig.

I planned to mostly do things digitally for I thought about a doing a 16 x 16 avid Digital interface, with a HDx2 system. That covers the area for that by having to two HDx cards but I can't seem to figure out why would a system benefit from having two HDx cards instead of one. Maybe you all can shed some light on this and explain to me the benefit's please.

Being now you know what kind of a computer I planned to build and what kind of HD system I want. I like to know for sure what would be needed to build a avid HD rig. What kind of things using avid products would I need to have a very good HDx system. Any and all thoughts on this will be taking in account for my future build so please let me know asap before I start to buy the parts for my computer I want to do this right the first time and benefit.

Also I like to point out that if there is anything else that I haven't stated or would make thing all work let me know, I'm all ears to hear.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Re: LGA2011, i7 3960x

Over the top regarding the Graphic card and I believe currently 64 GB RAM is supported on most motherboards. There are a few that have LGA 2011 working with Pro Tools but I can only count them on one hand. All have successful rigs however.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Over the top regarding the Graphic card and I believe currently 64 GB RAM is supported on most motherboards. There are a few that have LGA 2011 working with Pro Tools but I can only count them on one hand. All have successful rigs however.
I am one of them, and yes it's successful.

Actually, a 3930 C2 stepping.

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3

Patriot Extreme 4 channel RAM

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Sweet Tom! Dverb count?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Sweet Tom I like the motherboard you got, but i have found one problem with that board its only a 4 dimm slots.

What you should be looking at is the Asus RamPage Extreme IV. Now that is a better board that would support 8 dimms slots if you push to have the corsair Dom's RAM cards you can have the 2400MHz at 8GB per side for a total of 16GB of 2400MHz of ram. NOW that is a power house Lol.

But I been trying to figure this thing out. What GPU would work with Pro Tools. I been reading that the Nividia cards are the best way to goes to have it work with Pro Tools. But, the Nividia cards are to damn much! Just for a workstation GPU card it cost about $1,500 that to me while being a student and all is to much money to shed out for a graphics cards... Then, when we think about it if the Quadro 6000 cards is a better design for a Pro Tools system being its Nividia, would be a good buy, but one problem I see with that card being, I came close to getting that one instead of the Geforce GTX 4800 and I'm not willing to shed over $4k just for a card!!! I can build a new computer for that price and the reviews on that card (Quadro 6000) are what you think they should be! bad ratings.

You all might think that I wasting my time explaining this, but I want to build the best workstation that money can buy for Video editing and Audio Recording I will be doing both of them things when I get out of school and i have done a lot of editing already for video and audio while going to school for my Music Production degree.

I'm so sick in tired of my macbook pro being so slow that the only way to get something that can handle tasks being thrown at it is to get a new computer. Mac's personally are to much in my book for the cost of them. Windows PC aren't my thing, But I like to build a hackntosh just to see if I can build a really cool system that would benefit me in a lot of ways and to learn a new skill at the same time Lol.

So this is what I have in mind for my build....

Asus RamPage Extreme IV motherboard, i7 3960x intel processor (might get two of them when the EVGA SR-X board comes out within a few months.),
Water Cooling blocks for that RAM, GPU, CPU, and the motherboard if I can find a company that has a block for the mobo, HAF-x case to house all these things unless I find a case that I like better, over a 1200 watt PSU, large radiators to handle the overclocking and task that I want to throw at this thing.

Bare in mind that this is a workstation by nothing far from it, but get's the task done sooner, so I can play more video games and not be in my edit's stage for my school's projects. That is just what i have so far as to my build that I want. But, I'm thinking I should plan to save for the EVGA SR-X mobo instead of getting everything now. Cuz with that SR-X mobo its a server/workstation board it has dual CPU sockets. So think of this, two 3960x's in that bad boy!! HOLY COW the kind of power that I want for I want to build a 12 or 16 core system. To handle anything and EVERYTHING.

The only price difference that I see from the Asus board to EVGA SR-X it might be about two hundred more bucks in cost with 12 slots for my dimm cards... yay me!!! 96GB of 2400MHz RAM is a wet dream. Plus with PT 11 coming out and going to be a 64-bit version I can use the 96GB of ram more so then ever before. A long story short, it makes my mid-2010 macbook pro look like a freaking joke compared to the newer system that I want to build... 8GB of ram to max this computer out and the newer 2011 macbook pro handle 16GB of ram. That is a load of crock.

But, we'll see for I think that the Geforce GTX 4800 GPU is going to be enough plsu I think I can SLi two of them together for better video editing that can be done, correct me if I'm wrong here. I just want to build this with the fact that I will be doing serious video edit's and audio edit's.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Well John. I need the extra PCI slot I get with the Gigabyte, and this board is very stable with Pro Tools. The PCIe specs are in line with what I will need for HDX.

I began with the idea of liquid cooling, but with many thousands of dollars in HDX cards coming, I think it's best to stay clear of potential leaks if possible.

With 8GB RAM cards, 4 slots are fine. I'll be good with 32GB total. The Rampage is a great board, especially for gamers, but nothing more than Pro Tools HDX will ever see this rig.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Aaron,

When I first put this together I ran up 500 d-verbs and was showing 47% usage in PT. At that point I got impatient and moved on, so I never finished it. I guess I need to do that.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Those are good benchmarks even at that level. Did you run the test with HDN or HDX?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM

What about the 1366 pin gigabyte boards??
A few of those models have TI firewire chips & have 6 RAM slots. Has anyone tried a 1366 board/processor combo??
Although it seems like 1366 was designed & then redundant at the same time??
Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Oh another thread lead me to this thread;
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
The 17 builds thread, where someone has posted the exact board I am wondering about...