Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 AM

Default Installing and Uninstalling El Capitan Causing Installer Problems.

Ok boring stuff first. Using a late 2009 iMac. Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SD Ram. OSX 10.6.8. PT Interface 11R (Driver installed).

I updated to El Capitan not realising that El Capitan wasn't compatible with Pro Tools 10.3. I then had to wipe the internal disk to get rid of El Capitan and re-installed Mac OSX 10.6.3 through a official Apple SL disc provided by a computer teacher. I did not use Time Machine as no backups were made. Prior to installing El Capitan and reinstalling 10.6.3 and 10.6.8, compatible software was loading fine before I updated to El Capitan.

However having to wipe HD for a second time finding the same error installer message after using the computer teacher's SL 10.6.3 disc and re-installing OSX 10.6.3 through a newly purchased disc from Apple and then installing the 10.6.8 Combi Installer from Apple again I still cannot reinstall Pro Tools 10.3 due to getting same installer error message which states 'The Installation failed. An unknown installer error occured. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'

I can however install up to Pro Tools 10.2.0 (so i don't think its a manufacturer software problem) but no further than that due to the above error message reappearing whenever I try to re-install Pro Tools 10.3 which was originally on my system and working well.. Furthermore i'm getting the same error message now when trying to re-install certain plugins (such as EZ Keys & EZ Mix) but it is allowing me to install EZ Drummer 2. I also tried installing Omnisphere but it wouldn't show in Pro Tools 10.2.0. All attempted re-installed plugins are i think compatible with Pro Tools 10.2.0 which is on my system now and indeed compatible with OSX 10.6.8. Its really bizzare and i'm literally tearing my hair out.

I've went through Disc Permissions several times using my HD DRIVE and the icon above that which reads 320.07 GB Hitachi HDP7 and everything seems to be ok now although clicking on the Hitachi icon did give me the reading 'the volume Mac HD was found corrupt until I repaired it. I also tried using Safe Mode to download PT 3 but neither Safari nor recently downloaded Google Chrome would work in Safe Mode.

My iMac won't install further OSX updates either now through the Apple Updater on computer not restarting just getting the screen without the dock at the bottom of computer.

Speaking to a gentleman through the Apple forums he thought it sounded like a bad OSX install but nothing he has suggested has cured the problem. Maybe someone from Avid could step in here or a site boffin?

Has anyone suffered this and is there any solution? Thanking you kindly for any help in advance.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Installing and Uninstalling El Capitan Causing Installer Problems.

So you have a hard drive that reported its corrupt and lots of weird stuff is happening. Go get an external drive (Firewire 800) and do a new clean OS X install on that and just quickly test if installs work. Then swap out the internal drive if they do and clone to the new internal one. I'd go with an new SATA internal SSD like Samsung 850 Evo.

Even if it technically worked El Crapitan is the last OS X release you should have wanted to upgrade to, checking here first would have made that obvious. And next time make sure you have a clone/backup before doing brain surgery on your computer.

Snow Leopard? Install disks? In 2017? If having to do a full install I would not have rolled all the way back to Snow Leopard, there are likely better OS X releases, like Mavericks, and available as online installers even if it talks a little hassle to get. I'd work that out before doing a test install into an external Firewire drive.

I have no idea why you are trying to use safe mode to download Pro Tools or any other stuff off the Internet. That's like the opposite of what safe mode is for. And it's unlikely you have any problems related to downloading files.

Your computer is underconfigured and slower than most folks here would want to use. Maybe just time to ditch it and get a new one.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So you have a hard drive that reported its corrupt and lots of weird stuff is happening. Go get an external drive (Firewire 800) and do a new clean OS X install on that and just quickly test if installs work. Then swap out the internal drive if they do and clone to the new internal one. I'd go with an new SATA internal SSD like Samsung 850 Evo.

Even if it technically worked El Crapitan is the last OS X release you should have wanted to upgrade to, checking here first would have made that obvious. And next time make sure you have a clone/backup before doing brain surgery on your computer.

Snow Leopard? Install disks? In 2017? If having to do a full install I would not have rolled all the way back to Snow Leopard, there are likely better OS X releases, like Mavericks, and available as online installers even if it talks a little hassle to get. I'd work that out before doing a test install into an external Firewire drive.

I have no idea why you are trying to use safe mode to download Pro Tools or any other stuff off the Internet. That's like the opposite of what safe mode is for. And it's unlikely you have any problems related to downloading files.

Your computer is underconfigured and slower than most folks here would want to use. Maybe just time to ditch it and get a new one.
Hi DR and thanks very much for coming back to me. I have a HDX Avastor 500gb external drive which I was using to record my songs on and has been working perfectly with Pro Tools and my computer. Can I use this to do a OSX install on?

Yes realise that now re-El Capitan. Should have bloody well checked.

However will try upgrading to Mavericks to see if it improves things first. Went back to older OSX due to being compatible with Pro Tools 10.3 which i've been using. I guess I will have to download on top of Snow Leopard rather than wipe disc as Mavericks is a download?

I was advised to try Safe Mode by someone on Apple forums.

Re-new computer. Yes fully intend to upgrade when the new iMacs are released at Christmas. Just wanted to keep using this computer until then.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Hi DR and thanks very much for coming back to me. I have a HDX Avastor 500gb external drive which I was using to record my songs on and has been working perfectly with Pro Tools and my computer. Can I use this to do a OSX install on?

Yes realise that now re-El Capitan. Should have bloody well checked.

However will try upgrading to Mavericks to see if it improves things first. Went back to older OSX due to being compatible with Pro Tools 10.3 which i've been using. I guess I will have to download on top of Snow Leopard rather than wipe disc as Mavericks is a download?

I was advised to try Safe Mode by someone on Apple forums.

Re-new computer. Yes fully intend to upgrade when the new iMacs are released at Christmas. Just wanted to keep using this computer until then.
Where are your audio/session files backed up to and how many times? I would not wipe your audio drive just to do a test OS install on it unless it is backed up in multiple places and you have tested those backups. Don't even squeeze the drive trying to add another test partition, too easy to screw that up. It's best to just go buy another external drive... you should have had several drives anyhow being used for cloning/backup of the boot drive.

You download the full (say Mavericks) installer to your current drive on the system booted running whatever you have on it, and just run it there as an app under your current OS install and when it asks where you want to install to tell it the external drive. You are doing a full install not an upgrade. Easy directions are all over the Web. You also have the (not needed here) option of building a bootable install on say a flash drive. Again instructions all over the Web. Do not do anything that looks like an upgrade, just do a full clean install of the OS X version you want.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Where are your audio/session files backed up to and how many times? I would not wipe your audio drive just to do a test OS install on it unless it is backed up in multiple places and you have tested those backups. Don't even squeeze the drive trying to add another test partition, too easy to screw that up. It's best to just go buy another external drive... you should have had several drives anyhow being used for cloning/backup of the boot drive.

You download the full (say Mavericks) installer to your current drive on the system booted running whatever you have on it, and just run it there as an app under your current OS install and when it asks where you want to install to tell it the external drive. You are doing a full install not an upgrade. Easy directions are all over the Web. You also have the (not needed here) option of building a bootable install on say a flash drive. Again instructions all over the Web. Do not do anything that looks like an upgrade, just do a full clean install of the OS X version you want.
Thanks again for coming back to me. Have checked to see if I can get Mavericks 10.9 as further Mavericks upgrades on Apple site won't install without it. Not available anymore through Apple and no 10.9 discs available on Ebay unless I want to chance using copies. Don't think Yosmite is great with Pro Tools 10. 3 either. Royally fooked but my own fault not checking on OSX compatibility here. Will just have to wait now on new iMacs being released at Christmas and purchase one of those. However the one i want is going to cost over two grand plus then having to purchase upgraded interface and Pro Tools 12.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Installing and Uninstalling El Capitan Causing Installer Problems.

In future download OS X releases when they come out so they stay available to you later in the App Store. You should contact Apple Support and ask them for access to what you need. Or have somebody you know give you the installer file or build you a bootable installed on a USB flash stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
In future download OS X releases when they come out so they stay available to you later in the App Store. You should contact Apple Support and ask them for access to what you need. Or have somebody you know give you the installer file or build you a bootable installed on a USB flash stick.

Ok mate will contact Apple Support to see if they can give me access to Mavericks 9.

Thanks again for all your help. Feel such a fool but sometimes it's better to learn a lesson the hard way so you don't make the same mistake again.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM

They should give you access, just be ready with a clear explanation of why you need it for software compatibility (Pro Tools) reasons and be persistent you know you need it if they say no initially.