Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Default [Q] How To Adjust For UAD-1 Latency in PT7

Hey Friends,

I know this subject has been discussed before, but nothing lists exact steps to fix the issue, so I'm hoping one of you guru's can steer me in the right direction.

I'm running PT7 on OSX Tiger, and just purchased the UAD-1 card, but can't seem to get the latency introduced by the card under control. I got it from Sweetwater, but thier support team keeps telling me it's my PT setup, not the card, which I don't 100% believe.

What is the best way to compensate for the delay introduced? Do I use the DelayComp included? Is there a "UAD-1 For Dummies" website or posting somewhere that details how to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Jason
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: [Q] How To Adjust For UAD-1 Latency in PT7

There are a few ways to do this,
you could check how much a track is delayed in the small window under the fader in the mix window (apple + click in mac) and them shift the audio on that track earlier by that amount.
Or you could use the UAD TrackAdv plugin on every track except on the track where you are using an UAD plug-in.
Or you could create a Aux track and put a TrackADV plug on that and buss every channel without a UAD plug to that Aux fader.

So as you see there are a few ways of getting this to work.
Just a notion, if you are working to picture the there is just the first option of shift audio, othervise you are in trouble.

Mats B
Old 12-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Cool. I'll go home tonight and give this a try. Thanks man!

Jason

PS - for anyone who may search this topic in the future, I found this article as well. http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2004/february/index5.html It is regarding Digital Performer, but the concept translates to Pro Tools.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Hey Mats,

I'm not using a UAD card, but I am using plugins that cause a delay on the track. Any idea why my delay (cmd+click) is ALWAYS at 0?

Tom.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Hey Mats,

I'm not using a UAD card, but I am using plugins that cause a delay on the track. Any idea why my delay (cmd+click) is ALWAYS at 0?

Tom.
Not all plugins introduce a delay, and some that do introduce a delay don't correctly report the delay to ProTools. If you've got a specific plugin which definitely produces a delay, but reports 0, you should report that as a bug to the plugin maker.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Does SansAmp report 0 for you (or anyone)? I can hear the phase difference so it must be delayed. I'll get a list going.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:59 PM

If it sounds like phasing, rather than a delay, it's probably a very small delay. You can measure it with ProTools easily, just record a single click on an audio track, then apply the plugin and record the result to another audio track. Then zoom in close on both tracks, and you can measure the delay in samples.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I'm running PT7 on OSX Tiger, and just purchased the UAD-1 card, but can't seem to get the latency introduced by the card under control. I got it from Sweetwater, but thier support team keeps telling me it's my PT setup, not the card, which I don't 100% believe.

That's because Sweetwater are either lying, or ignorant.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM

After re-reading this, I realized you're using the VST-RTAS adapter. This will always add latency - how much depends on the buffer setting in the wrapper.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
After re-reading this, I realized you're using the VST-RTAS adapter. This will always add latency - how much depends on the buffer setting in the wrapper.
I know that the powercore plugs are usually work in blocks of 1024. Most commonly you are compensating for 2048 samples when using them via the wrapper.
Don't know about the UAD

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3