Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-13-2000, 08:29 PM

Default How much attenuation for center pan?

It seems to be AROUND 2.5 dB, but not EXACTLY. This concerns me somewhat. It seems that there is no way to get a mono sound to be at its original level in 2 channels unless you make another track for it and hard pan both.

This is what I did: Used signal generator and made a full scale tone with AudioSuite (track 1). Copied the tone to another track (track 2). Using AudioSuite inverted polarity on track 2. Sent both tracks out bus 1-2, panned track 1 full left, and track 2 center. Set up a mono aux input for bus 1. Played them back, and listened to bus 1, left track 1 at unity, raised the fader on track 2 until the tone seemed to disappear (+2.5 dB). Raised the level of my monitors and could still hear the tone. Quite low, but definitely there. Are there some missing numbers here?
Old 10-16-2000, 08:25 PM

Default Re: How much attenuation for center pan?

I too find this to be somewhat of a drag at times.
A minus 18 tone output D to D using direct out to channel one is at minus 18 on the Dat.Channel one only of course. When switched to stereo output in the prefs and outputing with the pan in the middle you lose around 3db.This means I have to pump up the VO track or whatever is center leaving me less headroom

CS