Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 07:52 AM

Default Live band didn\'t record to PT internal metronome... now what?

I recorded a couple of songs but didn't want the band to be tied down by the click track. The meter is steady so that's not an issue. But I have a couple of questions now, since the music wasn't tracked to the PT metronome:

1) During an ending section, I'd like to have one of the guitars autopanning in time to the beat. I used the zig-zap pencil to create the left/right autopan on the automation line, but the zig-zag pattern isn't sync'd to the beat. Adjusting the points by hand would be a royal pain. What's the easiest way to sync' the autopan to the song?

2) Related to question one, I know that we don't have beat detective in PTLE, but what's the difference between that and identify beat. Can I use identify beat to somehow set the protools grid to the beat of my audio?

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Live band didn\'t record to PT internal metronome... now what?

What I would do is set the track to "WRITE" on the mixer and during play back use the mouse to write the automation. Move the mouse back and forth to the time you want during playback across the pan control and the automation wil record your manual movements. Then just set the guitar track to "READ" (it does this automatically after you record) and you're all set. I'm not so sure about your other question, sorry.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 12-12-2001, 11:19 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Burton:
Can I use identify beat to somehow set the protools grid to the beat of my audio?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yep this is way cool for me. See page 264 of the manual for details (page 278 of the pdf file). Sometimes though I'll just manually add bar/beat markers at specific down beats, etc. The effect is the same.

I had one song who's tempo varied slightly in verse/chorus etc. I set up new bar/beat markers at each change and got the 'click track' to match the varying beat...even through retards. (No jokes please [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) It saved me a ton of trouble later.

If you need more specifics, ask -- but I think that one page in the manual explains it pretty well.

Kurt
Old 12-12-2001, 11:40 AM

Hit http://www.versiontracker.com for a freeware utility called MusicMath, which very handy for stuff like determining tempo, delay times, etc.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:22 AM

A real quick and dirty way that works for me (when it doesn't have to be exact)is just to use the tap tempo button.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:17 AM

What section is that reference in? My page 264 must be different to yours.

Paul.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-18-2001, 03:39 PM

You can do it with Recycle. Bounce a mono ruff mix off the drumms to disk. Import it into Recycle, set the sensitivity slider to be roughly on quarter notes and create a groove midi thing ( I can't remember exactly what it's called) Import this new midi track into PT, do a little bit of editing to make it cleaner, and output it to a click sound.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:54 PM

THe recycle thing is a great idea. I bet after you did this a few times it would become fast asn easy.
I never thought of that one, thanks!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:23 AM

A long way to go about setting a grid to a freely recorded PTools session(no click), is to enter markers at the beginning of every bar of music( I know it is time consuming!). Then select adjacent markers and use the identify beat function to set the correct bar numbers. If anyone knows of a better way to do this please throw some words my way. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]