Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Running Pro Tools using VMWare Workstation Player 12

Hello,
I recently got a new laptop. Since its on Windows 10 and I have an old Pro tools install (8) it wont run on Win 10, I felt I could run PT8 on VmWare.
I have installed it fine but when I go to run it, it stops during the plugins set up, at Air Chorus.
Can VMware run PT? I would only use it for editing but if it can handle it I would ideally like to have it for recording too.

My VM set is is:
8GM RAM, 4 Porcessors, 60Gb HD allowance.

My PC set up:
i7 Quad Core Processor 2.8Ghz 8MB Cached, 16 Gbs RAM, 256 SSD, Interl HD Graphics 530

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Running Pro Tools using VMWare Workstation Player 12

I can't answer your question about running PT on a VM, but is Air Chorus the first plugin to try to load, or do other plugins get loaded and it just hangs on that plugin? You can try moving Air Chorus to the Unused Plugins folder and see if PT fully loads up. Could be a corrupt plugin.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I had done that before I logged this question. I moved the the plug in but I moved it to the desktop. Would that matter?
I think I may try and find a different install just to eliminate other possibilities.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:42 AM

What happened when you had the Air Chorus plugin on your desktop and you tried to load up PT? Did it hang on a different plugin? As I recall there are 2 files in the Plugins folder associated with each plugin (unless something has changed from my version of PT). Did you move both files to the desktop? I don't know what the second file does, maybe it tells PT to load up the actual plugin file.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:21 AM

When I moved the plug in it still stops at Air Chorus on start up.

I only moved 1 plug in file. Found in Program Data I think. I didnt move 2 files for it. Any ideas where would it be located?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:41 AM

A virtual machine is an awful environment to try to run Pro Tools in, and you would find that answer, and more details on why, by searching DUC before posting your question.

I would stop wasting your time and give up now.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the comment Darryl.
Any suggestions on how to run PT 8 on windows 10 then? Besides buy a new PT package.
Seems like win 10 is not fully accepted by avid/ PT yet. Especially earlier versions of PT and they probably wont ever be able to run on 10.
As I said before I recently bought a new laptop, it came with 10 pre-installed and to be honest I didnt want to down grade.
I felt the best option was to down the VM route.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Pro Tools 8 is clearly not officially supported on Windows 10 and never will be. And more than just Avid official support, it's generally known not to work.

Pro Tools 8 is museum-ware, likely worth every cent to upgrade.

Some folks have got it to run on Windows 10, you can search for how they did that, mostly in-situ Windows upgrades IIRC. All seems to me like a total waste of time and inviting future problems.

Your saner choices are to use software known to be compatible with your OS release, or use OS releases compatible with your software. Entirely your choice, and something to plan before you start upgrading anything.

Microsoft licensing downgrade info here. https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lic...de_rights.aspx