Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Getting better mixes....

All,

I have been recording for about 5 years now and I want to know how to get better mixes in PT. Are there any books out there that would help me in this regard?

Thanks,
S0nguy
Old 05-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Getting better mixes....

Quote:
All,

I have been recording for about 5 years now and I want to know how to get better mixes in PT. Are there any books out there that would help me in this regard?

Thanks,
S0nguy
That question is a bit too general to get many answers.

The main thing is keep doing what you're doing. Learning to mix is 90% practicing hands on and 10% reading and getting other people's opinions.

Every mix is a different animal. You must learn these skills yourself. It's not accounting. There are 10,000 different problems that creep up and there are about 100 different ways (all correct) that you can fix them. That's alot of possibilities and very difficult to put into one book.

Keep Mixing. Try asking more specific questions that will entice others to answer.

And keep reading and searching this and other boards (see my sig) There is a wealth of information around written by people who are better mixers than they are book writers.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 AM

I guess what I am asking is this..... my Mixes used to sound great when I was mixing in PARIS. However, since I've moved to ProTools, I have had constant trouble getting them to really HIT.

For example.....When I add the Renaissance Bass plug to a bass in PARIS, it fills out and just sounds "wider and deeper". When I add the same plug-in to a PT mix is doesnt change the same way.....it just gets deeper but not wider or any "cooler".

Are there any books or classes that teach the nuances of ProTools as a mixing platform? Each software behaves differently and there are secrets to all of them to getting better mixes. For instance, in PARIS the sound was actually better when you drove the faders into the red.......weird I know - but true. Try that in ProTools and you'll be sorry.....

I am adding a UA2192 today so that I can get better D/A and clocking. I think this will help a lot (Also I'll get better A/D) with the stereo image. Maybe the reason my PT mixes don't sound great is becuase I can't really "hear" what is going on in the mix so my mixing decisions are incorrect.......I think I might be being overly picky because my clients are happy with my mixes - but I know how good they COULD sound.

On another note, I have no "formal" training in the recording field. I just bought all of my gear one day and went from there so I certainly know and agree with the "90% just doing it" mantra. However, I think I could also benefit from some good 'ol schooling on the principles of sounds and how they all blend together in a mix. I hope this is a little more clear.

-s0nguy

Old 05-04-2004, 03:13 PM

I'm curious...are you saying that PARIS had/has better A/D-D/A and clocking than PT? I've haven't worked with PARIS that much (or in a long time for that matter!), that's why I'm asking.
kp
Old 05-04-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'm curious...are you saying that PARIS had/has better A/D-D/A and clocking than PT? I've haven't worked with PARIS that much (or in a long time for that matter!), that's why I'm asking.
kp
Better than the 002? Yes.

HD? No

Doesnt matter...I just brought home my 2192 which kills 002, hd and paris.......

-S0nguy

Old 05-05-2004, 03:40 PM

Sorry guy's, I used Paris for a year and it was weak. The automation was beyond poor all moves were vertical or horizontal nothing diaganal, it wasn't fit for mixing dog poop! I think you were just enthralled with what a DAW could do and since you were still very new at it everything sounded good to you. The convertors were weak and flabby with almost no precision or real clarity and you could hear the distortion at all levels. But I've been at this for a long ,long time. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best I would rate Paris at a solid two. M-Box at a 4, 001, at a 5 002 at a 7, HD at a 9 I think the lexicon Opus was far better than theParis system in fact I would rate the Paris system on a par with my soundblaster card, usable just not very good.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry guy's, I used Paris for a year and it was weak. The automation was beyond poor all moves were vertical or horizontal nothing diaganal, it wasn't fit for mixing dog poop! I think you were just enthralled with what a DAW could do and since you were still very new at it everything sounded good to you. The convertors were weak and flabby with almost no precision or real clarity and you could hear the distortion at all levels. But I've been at this for a long ,long time. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best I would rate Paris at a solid two. M-Box at a 4, 001, at a 5 002 at a 7, HD at a 9 I think the lexicon Opus was far better than theParis system in fact I would rate the Paris system on a par with my soundblaster card, usable just not very good.
whatever...

-s0nguy

Old 05-07-2004, 04:31 AM

Hi,
I don't have the experiences as a lot of the folks on this board,
but as far as paris,
I started with a 4 track cassette (424) when they first came out,
went to the adat / mackie 8 bus , then to paris when it came out,
now I have an hd accell system with cntrl 24. (about 15 yr span)
Paris dosnot have all the tools protools does by a long shot.
and is dead and not supported except for some very knowlegable people
on thier news group. I am trying to run a small studio and alot of the calls
we got allways asked .. Do you have protools? Very good marketing by digidesign.
Paris sounds different maybe more analog?, My protools system is good also.
but paris does have it's own sound.

Mike
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM

I feel ya man. The only reason there's an oo2 in my rack is so I can tell clients, "Yeah, I have pro tools." Then when they show up to track, I promptly track 'em in PARIS. If I get the mixing job, i'll mix the damn thing there too. (otherwise I just give em a DVD full of .wav's rendered from zero.

*chuckle*

-S
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Sorry guy's, I used Paris for a year and it was weak. The automation was beyond
poor all moves were vertical or horizontal nothing diaganal, it wasn't fit for mixing
dog poop! I think you were just enthralled with what a DAW could do and since
you were still very new at it everything sounded good to you. The convertors were
weak and flabby with almost no precision or real clarity and you could hear the
distortion at all levels. But I've been at this for a long ,long time. On a scale from 1
to 10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best I would rate Paris at a solid two.
M-Box at a 4, 001, at a 5 002 at a 7, HD at a 9 I think the lexicon Opus was far
better than theParis system in fact I would rate the Paris system on a par with my
soundblaster card, usable just not very good.

What a crock!

Obviously the hundreds of albums you've mixed in PT have ruined your ears.

Don