Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Dear Aviid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

The MIDI/Piano Roll editor in Pro Tools is arguably better than Logic's (and DP). For example, in Logic you can only view one controller lane at a time. (Yes you can use Hyper Edit in Logic but that's not the same thing.) There can be a lot of "tool" swapping in Logic whereas you only need the Smart Tool and keyboard modifiers in PT. For example, simply command drag on a note to change velocity in PT. In Logic you need to switch to the velocity tool and then drag on the note and switch back again. (I know you could assign the velocity tool to Logic's command mouse click second function thingy but that's just two tools that are instantly available.) Changing note start and end points and note length can all be done with "nudge" commands in PT, it's much more clunky in Logic. Copying and pasting MIDI notes and continuous controllers between tracks is far easier and faster in PT. This can get messy very quickly Logic. In other words, Logic's MIDI editor is over rated and Pro Tools' editor underrated.

There are some areas where Logic's MIDI functionality blows ProTools away. Logic's Transform function is far superior and can do things that are impossible in ProTools, for example, remapping continuous controllers. Logic's Environment is incredibly powerful but most people probably don't even know what it does! However overall, the speed, slickness and functionality of PT's MIDI editor beats Logic.

Logic does rise above the competition in terms of CPU efficiency and bundled VIs and content. Other than that, Logic as a whole is overrated in my opinion. Yes it pretty much does everything but whatever individual functionality you focus on, it is almost always done better elsewhere. It's very much a jack of all trade's and master of none tool IMO.

Where Logic loses:
MIDI editing: Pro Tools and DP are better. Cubase is better still.
Drum editor: Cubase and DP's Drum Ediitors blow Logic's Hyper Editor out of the water. A drum editor is conspicuous by its absence in ProTools of course
Audio Editing: Pro Tools rules closely followed by Nuendo
Elastic audio/flextime: Ableton Live totally kills the competition by some margin.
Pitch Manipulation: Logic's version of what Melodyne can do is pretty lame.
Control surface support: Pro Tools followed by Cubase/Nuendo

Where Logic wins:
CPU efficiency.
Bundled VIs and content. That said, this is yet another area where Logic's ethos of quantity over quality wins out. Whatever VI or sampler instrument you choose in logic is almost invariably bested by third-party products. EXS24 vs. Kontakt, Space Designer vs. Altiverb, Logic's pianos vs. Ivory or Spitfire HZ Piano... etc. etc.... all no contest!
No offence but you obviously don't know as much as you think you do about Logic editing and tools management. That's ok, if you used much of your time in PT, it's impossible to know these programs in and out.

Just a little hint, ctrl+cmd with the pointer tool will turn it into the velocity tool. It really isn't meant as it sounds when I write that. Don't want to be arrogant when I write this but it's impossible to know what you don't know. Makes sense?

Blink
Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The DUC is like watching Groundhog Day.

Hopefully one day we won't have to have threads like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post of the day. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
I left PT12 after my one year was up back in November 2016. It felt like I was a dog and Avid was the dog owner. The dog owner only fed his dog just enough to get buy because he knew if he gave him too much the dog would leave..I know that is a stupid saying and backwards but thats how I felt Avid was doing its users. How can a company release bug fixes then end up having more bugs to fix than you previously did is beyond me...Its sad, very sad..
So what did you do with your $99 that was more worthwhile than staying current? 12.5.2 to 12.7.1 have been very good here for mixing. I'll be upgrading to 12.8 soon. As has been said here many times, if you need MIDI and Virtual Instruments, there are better choices. I use Logic. If you're mixing, or working with audio, then it's hard to find a better program than Pro Tools. In my opinion...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM

and have you been to the other DAW Forums .... ah .. they have issues too ... just different ...

just sayin' .... Flame Suit is Certified !!!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-27-2017, 12:56 AM

I jumped into deep water today. I upgraded to the latest Sierra, the Apollo software, moved to Pro Tools 12.8 and installed the latest Logic Pro X. Also did the Native Instruments 11 Ultimate upgrade a few days ago. It's CRAZY. But so far, everything seems pretty happy. This is on my Laptop. I'll do the studio computer in a few days, once I know for sure it's all good.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:10 AM

Not all of them. The Reaper forum is a virtual love fest compared to the DUC. It's an extremely happy user base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
and have you been to the other DAW Forums .... ah .. they have issues too ... just different ...

just sayin' .... Flame Suit is Certified !!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
No offence but you obviously don't know as much as you think you do about Logic editing and tools management. That's ok, if you used much of your time in PT, it's impossible to know these programs in and out.

Just a little hint, ctrl+cmd with the pointer tool will turn it into the velocity tool. It really isn't meant as it sounds when I write that. Don't want to be arrogant when I write this but it's impossible to know what you don't know. Makes sense?

Blink
No offence taken. I've used Logic since 1996. For the last few years I've mostly used ProTools so I might be a little rusty on a few key commands. I do know Logic pretty well though, even down to creating custom system exclusive fader maps in the Environment to control a Yamaha Pro Mix back in the day.

I did mention in my post that you could assign velocity as a secondary tool and last I looked it didn't have to be just velocity. You could instigate a second function by pressing command and it could be any tool you wanted. So Ctrl+cmd to temporality change to the velocity tool is new to me and I'm guessing that's been added since I was using logic full-time.

That's three tools instantly available in Logic then not two as I said. That said, I still maintain Pro Tools' Smart Tool is demonstrably faster than the toolbar method in Logic and Cubase for the same reason that PT is faster at audio editing.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
I left PT12 after my one year was up back in November 2016. It felt like I was a dog and Avid was the dog owner. The dog owner only fed his dog just enough to get buy because he knew if he gave him too much the dog would leave..I know that is a stupid saying and backwards but thats how I felt Avid was doing its users. How can a company release bug fixes then end up having more bugs to fix than you previously did is beyond me...Its sad, very sad..
Hmm, no, avid is not known for handing out extra bones.

My avid relationship ended on Mar 31, 2016 (at 12.5.0). Would have been nice to have had 12.5.1 or 12.5.2, in order to wrap it up a bit. Now I'm mainly on another DAW and uses PT10 for maintaining older projects. Unfortunately, I have never really gotten into PT12.

...but who cares?

Last edited by hooksound; 07-31-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
No offence taken. I've used Logic since 1996. For the last few years I've mostly used ProTools so I might be a little rusty on a few key commands. I do know Logic pretty well though, even down to creating custom system exclusive fader maps in the Environment to control a Yamaha Pro Mix back in the day.

I did mention in my post that you could assign velocity as a secondary tool and last I looked it didn't have to be just velocity. You could instigate a second function by pressing command and it could be any tool you wanted. So Ctrl+cmd to temporality change to the velocity tool is new to me and I'm guessing that's been added since I was using logic full-time.

That's three tools instantly available in Logic then not two as I said. That said, I still maintain Pro Tools' Smart Tool is demonstrably faster than the toolbar method in Logic and Cubase for the same reason that PT is faster at audio editing.
All good. I know Logic more than PT, so I'm the opposite of you!! Check out all you can do with the Marquee Tool in Logic. There's dozens of things you can do with it. Once set as the Command tool(secondary tool, or click-zone tool in the Prefs), I rarely have to change tools with that and the pointer Tool. Pretty equivalent to the Smart Tool in PT... Tab to transients, etc...

Blink
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:

Logic has (fortunately) copied a lot of great features from Protools the past years. A lot has happened there. Logic too now have the Smart Tool.

That said - Regarding DAW-Navigation and Tool-Intuition, Protools has always gone the extra mile of giving their users unprecedented intuitive features.