Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Folder Feature Requests

this thead has been made sticky. follow instructions here, please

Has anyone found a way to expand a given Folder's view in the Mix Window but not in the Edit Window ? I was really hoping the views would be independent. I read through the manual and did not see it referenced. Any shortcuts ?

This would be useful, for example, to collapse all Aux channels in the Edit Window and but keep the Aux faders visible in the Mix Window.

Stay Safe

ejinbc

Last edited by JFreak; 04-06-2020 at 04:34 AM. Reason: added instructions
Old 04-02-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Independent View of Folders in Mix and Edit Windows

I JUST posted about this.... Doesn't seem possible...

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Nope, there is apparently no way to do this (yet). After playing with folders a bit more, I also really wish they had implemented automatic routing when you drag a track into a routing folder (expected this) - would be a great workflow for quick grouping functionality.

As there really is only one new feature in 2020.3 (plus bug fixes), I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.

(1) Independent Folder expansion views in Edit and Mix Windows
(2) Automatic routing (ctrl+drag) when moving tracks
(3) ??

Stay Safe
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
I JUST posted about this.... Doesn't seem possible...

OUCH!
that's annoying, so in Mix you have either regular or narrow. Maybe add this so idea scale?

Wish we could have a mix of narrow and regular in the MIX window at least
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
OUCH!
that's annoying, so in Mix you have either regular or narrow. Maybe add this so idea scale?

Wish we could have a mix of narrow and regular in the MIX window at least
No. It means that if you have the folders all open and spilled out in the edit window, they will all be open and spilled out in the Mix window. You can't have them closed in the edit window taking up less real estate and then have them Open in the mix window at the same time when you need to do a quick mix adjustment. They are either always open or always closed.....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
Nope, there is apparently no way to do this (yet). After playing with folders a bit more, I also really wish they had implemented automatic routing when you drag a track into a routing folder (expected this) - would be a great workflow for quick grouping functionality.

As there really is only one new feature in 2020.3 (plus bug fixes), I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.

(3) ??

Stay Safe
There is automatic routing from the new track dialouge box. Just tick the option.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:57 PM

LesB

"...when moving tracks."

Yes, when creating a folder selected tracks can be auto assigned, but moving existing tracks into a folder does not automatically set the routing. There should be an option key for this perhaps. How about ctrl drag and the track takes the folder as output path, ctrl+shift drag and the track takes the folder as output path, and then the folder uses the tracks's old output as the folders new output - or something like that.

E
Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Has anyone found a way to expand a given Folder's view in the Mix Window but not in the Edit Window ? I was really hoping the views would be independent. I read through the manual and did not see it referenced. Any shortcuts ?

This would be useful, for example, to collapse all Aux channels in the Edit Window and but keep the Aux faders visible in the Mix Window.

Stay Safe

ejinbc

I’m trying the same thing with memory locations (with show/hide tracks) + window configurations. Works only when you have one display monitor and you have to switch between views.

I’m just learning how powerful memory locations are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:

(3) ??

Stay Safe
Personally I don't want (1), I prefer them linked. No harm in a preference though, if that could be done.

(2) seems essential to me, alongside new tracks created within a folder (these apply to routing folders only of course). At the moment Folder Tracks are great, Routing Folders are a bust imo.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-06-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the MODS should make a 'sticky' for Folder feature requests.
Okay, I'll bite. Avid may also be interested in how users feel about this and what could be improved. So from now on let the message format be like:

1) Folders currently work like this: explain.
2) I would like them to work like this: explain more.