Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Need advice on upgrade + new purchase.

Hi there

I use Pro Tools 9 and am looking forward to using Pro Tools 11. I'm just considering upgrade paths etc and figure my best bet is to upgrade to Pro Tools 10 just now and get the free upgrade to Pro Tools 11 when released.

I'm aware that this 9-10 purchase is via an upgrade activation card. In this case, is the upgrade merely a download which is available to me on activation?

Also...I'm helping a few friends who wish to start using Pro tools and they wish to buy Pro Tools 10. I'm looking into good deals for them. However, I'm unsure of some of retailer's website listings. Will this come boxed? Or is the full version of Pro Tools 10 available as an activation card and download?

For example...see the following
http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-...oftware--91049

It's all very confusing.

W.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Need advice on upgrade + new purchase.

Yes, after registering the software, you will receive a download link for the full PT10 installer irrespective of whether it's a cross grade or new license purchase.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM

For your friends looking to get in to PT, especially if they don't have a decent audio interface, is to look at any of the deals with an 11 Rack/PT 10 combo. There are some online that have that combo at a price cheaper than buying PT10 alone. I don't know what it's like across the pond with VAT and such but it's something to look into. Just be wary that some unscrupulous dealers may have old stock with PT8le in the box instead of PT10. Actually you don't get PT10 on a disc but the license card, an iLok2, and the 11 Rack in the combo.

QAPLA!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks guys

That's much clearer. I wasn't sure about the download thing but I get it now.

Regarding a combo. My buddies have an Mbox which they bought (with PT Express) fairly recently without consulting me first, which was silly. However, one of them wishes to mess around with little projects when not with the other guy. Therefore, I've advised a purchase of an Mbox Mini for him which comes with PT9. This, according to the retailer's website, comes with a free upgrade to PT 11. They're a retailer I've dealt with lots so I'm thinking they may be on the level and not pass off a copy of PT8 or LE. Let's hope not anyway.

I figured they could use the new iLok for the PT9 license which they can use with the Mbox when collaborating. The other guy can take the other iLok with PT Express and use it at home with the Mbox Mini.

This should work out okay.

Thanks for your input there. Much appreciated.

W.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow886 View Post
Therefore, I've advised a purchase of an Mbox Mini for him which comes with PT9. This, according to the retailer's website, comes with a free upgrade to PT 11. They're a retailer I've dealt with lots so I'm thinking they may be on the level and not pass off a copy of PT8 or LE. Let's hope not anyway.
You had better check this before allowing your buddy to go ahead with this purchase. I don't think there's any free upgrade from PT9 to PT11. The only free upgrade right now for sure is PT10 to PT11. Don't trust a dealer's website - they often have wrong info. And current Mbox mini's come with Pro Tools Express - not a full PT. See this page: http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24834580929664

QAPLA!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks Musicman691

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-inter...ro-tools-9.asp

I went over the page with a fine tooth comb and advised my buddy to phone them too (which he didn't). Andertons are a retailer I trust. The owner (Lee) and his staff are very nice folks so we should be okay.

The page is explicit about what you get with the Mbox Mini, stating that the purchase of the Mini + bundled PT9 (with complimentary upgrade to PT11) is cheaper than buying PT11 on its own.

The boxed contents lower down clearly lists PT9 with all the PT9 plugins and features listed.

The only one thing puzzling me, as you've already mentioned is that Avid (not retailers) control what you can upgrade to, and from what. Therefore, if there isn't a PT9 to PT10 upgrade card within the box, we can assume that PT11 is a no no?

I'm sure Andertons will come through. Will get back to you once my buddy phones on Monday.

Cheers for the info.

By the way, if someone bought PT9 and registered it on an iLok and upgraded to PT10, do you then have 'both' licenses? If so, can the upgraded to PT10 License be put an additional iLok? Just wondering as there are two of my buddies looking to collaborate and also write songs in isolation too. A version 9 'and' version 10 (on separate iLoks) would be very useful to them.

W.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow886 View Post
Thanks Musicman691

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-inter...ro-tools-9.asp

I went over the page with a fine tooth comb and advised my buddy to phone them too (which he didn't). Andertons are a retailer I trust. The owner (Lee) and his staff are very nice folks so we should be okay.

The page is explicit about what you get with the Mbox Mini, stating that the purchase of the Mini + bundled PT9 (with complimentary upgrade to PT11) is cheaper than buying PT11 on its own.

The boxed contents lower down clearly lists PT9 with all the PT9 plugins and features listed.

The only one thing puzzling me, as you've already mentioned is that Avid (not retailers) control what you can upgrade to, and from what. Therefore, if there isn't a PT9 to PT10 upgrade card within the box, we can assume that PT11 is a no no?

I'm sure Andertons will come through. Will get back to you once my buddy phones on Monday.

Cheers for the info.

By the way, if someone bought PT9 and registered it on an iLok and upgraded to PT10, do you then have 'both' licenses? If so, can the upgraded to PT10 License be put an additional iLok? Just wondering as there are two of my buddies looking to collaborate and also write songs in isolation too. A version 9 'and' version 10 (on separate iLoks) would be very useful to them.

W.
Last things first - when PT9 users upgraded to PT10 the PT9 license was surrendered so you can't do what your buddies are looking to do.

I believe there is a 9 to 11 upgrade but don't know what that price is. Right now I wouldn't buy anything with PT9 and expect to get free upgrades to PT10 and then 11. Once again - verify with Avid whether there is some kind of complimentary (aka free) upgrade to PT11 - I wouldn't trust the dealer no matter how trustworthy they may have been in the past for you. Anderton's may be doing something that isn't right.

Edit: just ran into this in another thread here on the DUC. Looks like Anderton's is not getting fulfillment on PT9 to 10 upgrades for some time, if at all.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337762

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-20-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: additional info about Anderton's