Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-02-2020, 04:38 AM

Default MTRX Studio + Atmos Prod Suite

Hi all

I have set up the MTRX Studio in my Control Room and set up my Atmos Renderer with the known Production Suite workflow:

Use Dolby Audio Bridge in PT, select that as Input to the Renderer and select HDX as Driver for the Renderer. In the process of course, I lose not only my ability to use DSP plugins, but also a way to monitor loudness including the objects (not only the bed) and to use my own master buss processing/limiters/loudness measurements (incl objects).

I know this is done in a basic way within the renderer since v3.4, but having the routing capabilities of the MTRX Studio, I'm trying to think of different way to do all this.

Could I for example use HDX as the driver in Pro Tools, then send the object outputs from DigiLink to Dante Virtual Sound card within DADman, select the DVS as input for the renderer and route the output of the renderer back into Dante and this again back into my Pro Tools via DigiLink..

Is there anything that I'm missing that would prevent me from doing that? How is the Object metadata sent to the renderer? That happens via PT-Renderer connection, right, not via Dolby Audio bridge?

Any inputs or points that I missed appreciated :)

P.S. I know I'd limit myself to 64 channels, because of DigiLink, but other than not being able to use 128 objects, are there any other limits?
Old 07-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio + Atmos Prod Suite

If you took the output of the renderer and sent it back into Pro Tools, you wouldn't be able to record the DAMF (.atmos) master file. In a conventional Atmos setup the renderer is the final destination for the layback and the monitoring.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:38 AM

I use the loudness metering built in to the Atmos renderer.

I think we have accept a different headspace in terms of objects, because by their nature they live outside of any kind of fixed structure you could put a limiter on. It will be up to Dolby to figure out a way to do that within the Atmos Renderer.

Alan Sallabank from PT Expert has done a series of Atmos videos and shows in one how he uses Dante to get stuff routed back to PT with Source Nexus Pro. He's using a Focusrite interface, but it would apply to an MTRX Studio also.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
If you took the output of the renderer and sent it back into Pro Tools, you wouldn't be able to record the DAMF (.atmos) master file. In a conventional Atmos setup the renderer is the final destination for the layback and the monitoring.
It seems Alan Sallabank is doing exactly this. Recording the Atmos master in the renderer but sending the re-renders and 5.1 for loundess measuring back to Pro Tools.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:57 PM

But afaik you have to choose the Dolby Production suite as your playback engine?
Old 07-03-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
But afaik you have to choose the Dolby Production suite as your playback engine?
You can setup an aggregate device, so some channels go to your B-chain and others are sent to Pro Tools via Dante. You could also entirely avoid the Dolby Audio Bridge and use a MTRX Studio and send audio over Dante into the DAPS.

You could also set DAPS to send out over Dante into the MTRX Studio, and then from there send some channels to Pro Tools for re-renders, and route others directly to your B-chain.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:04 AM

thank you for your answers. I will definitely look at more resources, but the routing via Dante option (inside MTRX Studio) seems interesting to me.

This would then allow me to select HDX as the playback engine within Pro Tools and send all the channels from DigiLink via Dante to the renderer (limited to 64 instead of 128 in the case of the MTRX studio) correct?

Object monitoring would still not be solved per se, but this is as close to that solution as I could get, I assume :)
Old 07-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLullabyz View Post
thank you for your answers. I will definitely look at more resources, but the routing via Dante option (inside MTRX Studio) seems interesting to me.

This would then allow me to select HDX as the playback engine within Pro Tools and send all the channels from DigiLink via Dante to the renderer (limited to 64 instead of 128 in the case of the MTRX studio) correct?

Object monitoring would still not be solved per se, but this is as close to that solution as I could get, I assume :)
I'm still not sure if it possible to run the DAPS without choosing the Dolby Audio Bridge as your playback engine. I understand that you need the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite if you want to use HDX as your playback engine. Can anyone give a source on that? Don't have the manuals at hand right now.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:45 PM

You can choose whatever interface you like in Pro Tools, you just need to get the audio into DAPS and back out again.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.