Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Default Auto Match Pull Factors & 25fps to 24fps workflow

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to work with the pull up and pull down features of Pro Tools. I'm working in PAL.

At the moment, whenever we do cinema mixes (so going from 25fps to 24fps) we get a stretched video version to work with. These stretched versions basically run 25fps, but simulate 24fps.

There are a few questions now in mind (let's assume the 25fps film is 50 seconds long):

* If the film is being processed 1:1 - meaning 1 frame in 25fps is 1 frame in 24fps - the film would slow down to 52 seconds. Would the pulldown feature work here? And if yes - how?
* Audio Rate Pull Up/Down allows up to 4% Up or Down, but Video only shows options for 0,1 % Up or Down. In the manual though, it says you can pull video up/down to 4%. Am I using the wrong video-codec to do this or do I need the Avid peripheral? Or why can't I see the 4% Video Pull Rates?
* The manual also explains about "Auto Match Pull Factors". But I can't see it in my session window at all. Does anyone know why that could be? Or could someone explain where exactly in the session window this can be found (maybe I am seriously blind!!)

Thanks for your helps,
Timothy
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Auto Match Pull Factors & 25fps to 24fps workflow

Hi TIm,

No need to pull BOTH the video and the audio. To do your scenario of 25-->24 at a 1:1 frame convert, you simply pull the audio down 4%. Leave the video alone.

The session setup window allows for only .1% pulls of video, but Auto Match Pull allows for 4% Video Pull. The option is at the bottom of the TC Rate pulldown (the different kind) menu in the session setup. IOW, where you set the session's TC rate.

Auto match means that in a session with NO pull, but AM selected, if you need to work at a different rate, you change the TC rate and EVRYTHING will get pulled up or down (from the native) to match.

Tom
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Hi TIm,

No need to pull BOTH the video and the audio. To do your scenario of 25-->24 at a 1:1 frame convert, you simply pull the audio down 4%. Leave the video alone.

The session setup window allows for only .1% pulls of video, but Auto Match Pull allows for 4% Video Pull. The option is at the bottom of the TC Rate pulldown (the different kind) menu in the session setup. IOW, where you set the session's TC rate.

Auto match means that in a session with NO pull, but AM selected, if you need to work at a different rate, you change the TC rate and EVRYTHING will get pulled up or down (from the native) to match.

Tom
That's exactly what I thought what AM does. But for some reason I just can't find it.

Here is a photo of our session window.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM

Tim,

grab the Time Code Rate Pull Down menu (where it says 25 at the top right) -- the list of availble TC rates for the session. At the bottom of that list is Auto Match.

tom
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks.

That's it. Now I just have to work out, how to bounce out or record the new length and I got it.

Tim