Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-12-2020, 03:14 AM

Default 2meniwirz

HI,
I have a couple of digidesign 192 I/Os, fully loaded, that I want to put in a big rack with a bunch of other stuff. Some of the stuff is newer aVid stuff [Omni, HD Sync], and some of the stuff is just stuff like some Neve mic pres, and Hafler Pro 2400, a compeller, an Organ parametric, SPX90, various stuff. I have other racks with reverbs, compressors, delays, and all that, but I would rather not disturb all that if I can fit all this other stuff into my big rack.

I also have an old Video Slave Driver and some 888 interfaces, but I don't know if I need them [maybe I need one 888 for my NuVerbs]. I think the Sync HD should obviate the Slave Driver.

Anyhow, I know the didi 192 I/Os have fans on the side. The rack is a big tall, wooden rack, open front and back, and there is a decent bit of room on the sides of the gear where the fans are.

Do you think I need to leave rack spaces between the interfaces to keep them from getting hot? The only other thing in the rack that probably runs warm would be the Neves.

I already put the Hafler at the bottom for weight, and I put the Neves at the top [out of respect ; )].

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am mostly just concerned that I don't fry the didi / AVID stuff. I the past I have just stacked them around the studio, but I can't do that here, because someone is liable to knock something over if I do.

I also have a little Thunderbolt interface that goes with the Omni. Is there a rack adapter for that?

I know this sounds like a mish-mash, but I figure I'll just use my HD Accel system in tandem with the newer Omni / Thunderbolt stuff. I use a console and I have the ability to incorporate all this stuff into the patchbay with the tape decks and/or multitrack if I drag that out. So why not?

Probably too much info, but mostly what I need to know if its required to leave space between the interfaces in the rack.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:10 AM

Default Re: 2meniwirz

No problem. Heat goes up so put the boxes you think run hottest to the top of the rack,
Old 07-12-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No problem. Heat goes up so put the boxes you think run hottest to the top of the rack,
Right. But how about space between the 192 interfaces, and maybe the Neves [1084s w/power supply].

I don't see much need for space between the Omni and the HD sync [or is it Sync HD?]. Do you?

mightduck
Old 07-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Avid and DigiDesign boxes do not run hot, they do not need spaces between. Just place them lowest so they are not heated by other stuff. You know which boxes run hot so maybe good idea to leave space around, in addition to placing them to the top.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Avid and DigiDesign boxes do not run hot, they do not need spaces between. Just place them lowest so they are not heated by other stuff. You know which boxes run hot so maybe good idea to leave space around, in addition to placing them to the top.
Well there is a big ole warning that comes with the 192s about not blocking or disabling the fan because it causes trouble and voids the warranty. It says to leave room around the fan. Yet there are rack ears, so go figure......

I'll find the language and post it so you see what I am talking about. I used to just sit them on a table stacked one on top of another. But I need to get them in a rack now, unless its gonna cook them.

"Warning!
• HD audio interfaces need room at their sides to maintain proper air flow and cooling.
• Do not install these units into a rack or other enclosure that doesn't leave room on either side for the unit fans.
• Do not block the sides of the units (where fans are), or disconnect the fan.
• If the units are racked up in a case, remove all lids, doors, or covers before operating the units.
• Failure to do so can result in the units overheating very quickly, which can permanently damage them."

Sounds like they are really fragile they way they put it. I just have them in a regular size wooden rack. There is a bit of room on the sides, but not a foot of open space. No front or back to the rack, but there is a top. I guess they'll be o.k.? I just wonder because they probably don't service these much anymore. I wonder if my HD Accel system would run good with the newer HD interfaces? Maybe there is a trade-up?

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 07-12-2020 at 03:17 PM.