Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Advice on new Laptop and Interface

I have a boxed version of PT 9 which I had on an old laptop that crashed a couple years back. I am ready to purchase a new laptop to install it on, but need some advice.

I also want to be able to record live drums with at least 6 inputs.

Having a preference for Windows based computing over MAC, what suggestions would any of you have for minimum Laptop specs as well as an interface I could use to record live drums with at least 6 inputs (obviously recognizable as separate tracks in PT).

Between the 2, I would prefer to keep total cost under $1000, but I can stretch that if it is absolutely necessary.

Please be as specific as possible if you know of any compatibility issues (example, I've heard about possible issues with Windows 7 and firewire etc.). I want to be able to go to a computer store knowing exactly what I need.

Much thanks, as I am a very busy person and don't have a lot of knowledge regarding PT and computer recording in general.

Mark
Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Advice on new Laptop and Interface

I am a devoted PC guy, but when it comes to recording, especially Pro Tools, I always use a Mac. I think Apple laptops are very stable and good with PT, and I try to limit what I do on a Mac to just PT because the ways and language of Apple are often idiotic to me. They have all sorts of little quirkish and illogical ways that I don't like, but once you have PT open you basically only have to work with PT, not the Mac.

You might find something used, PC or Mac, on Craigslist for under $1,000 but I wouldn't trust it. Go on and jump in the game and get a new (or like new) MacBook Pro with all the power you can get. Especially if you want to record six tracks at once for drums. Figure to spend around $2,000 to get a good one. You will solve most of your problems in the beginning by just getting a Mac. These suggestions, along with an M-Audio interface, is about as foolproof as it gets.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I am also a bigtime PC user, but for laptops, I also would shop for a used MBP with an i7(and if you get really lucky, the OS will NOT be the latest, which would force you into buying PT10). Since that can be had for $1500 or less, its not too stiff a price, and you won't worry about compatibility(there are more PC laptops that WON'T work, than WILL work).

For an interface, there are tons of options, but I still champion the old 003rack, with an 8 channel lightpipe preamp. 003 racks are cheap at $300-400, and adding an 8 channel lightpipe pre gets you 12 mic preamps, which can track a band, not just drums. Lightpipe preamps start at $200(Behringer ADA8000) but my favorite "bang for the buck" is the Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic. BTW, I generally do NOT suggest the 003r+ as the stock preamps, while okay, are not so good that I want 8 of them(but again, this is just my 2 cents)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Was shopping recently like you and I had a fork in the road

2012 MBP with i5 4gb ram $800

2007/2009 ?? Samsung series 7
With an i5 8gb ram and SSD for main O/S $450

I went with the Samsung and it's super nice - Radeon graphics - I just couldn't justify double the price - and I love apple products and I have a monster Hackintosh at home
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.