Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 AM

Default The Best Rack To Use With Pro Tools

Hey Mates ... What's the Best Sound Module Rack someone could buy to use with Pro Tools 9 ... (For Ex: Motif Rack XS with Cubase) ....

What about Pro Tools ??
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Re: The Best Rack To Use With Pro Tools

Well... as always, this is going to be highly based on opinion. There's not going to be any one interface that is the most superior. It also comes down to your needs.

So I return your question with a few of my own:

1. Do you have a budget?
2. What are you looking for in terms of I/O, number of pres, etc?
3. Do you care about extras like DSP?
4. FW or USB?

Personally, I love my Liquid Saffire 56. Does everything I could possibly want in a single box, and it's hard to beat for the price vs. features. YMMV as always.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Hey Dism ... I am not talking about Audio interfaces ... I was asking about sound modules ... Check the Motif Rack XS or Motif Rack ES .... Those 2 have an affinity with Cubase .. I was wondering maybe Roland or Triton have got anything that would be compatible with Pro Tools ?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Ahhh I gotcha.

What do you mean by "compatible" with Pro Tools?

As far as I know, most midi racks work essentially the same, and it really doesn't matter what DAW you are using.

I've used a Triton Rack for a while, and it works well. You just set it up as a instrument in Pro Tools, and you can basically just use it as an external VI.

D

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Exactly.

I have a few older rack synths/ROMplers. As long as you set up your MIDI correctly, they all work fine. Check my signature. I am sure your Yamaha will work fine as well.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Yes, they all work via MIDI but Cubase worked with Yamaha to design a specific integration for their software. Currently, I do not know of any partnership between Avid and any hardware synth system for the same level of integration.

I assume from your question that you are not considering Virtual Instruments (software instruments that run as plugins in Protools). It seems you are looking for a hardware based sound module that can be triggered via MIDI within Protools.

If your question is more about what sound module sounds best, you're going to get many different opinions. There is usually some big war of words between which is better sounding among the top synth brands (not all keyboard synths have equivalent rack modules). It also depends on what type of sounds you like/need. For the most part, people are attracted to the most popular workstations (Roland G-series, Yamaha Motif XF series, Korg Kronos Series, Kurzweil, etc.) These usually give you the most broad range of instrument sounds (pianos, electric pianos, strings, brass, drums, guitars, basses, wood winds, ethnic, percussion, sound effects, etc.). Some are more specific such as analog synths (Moog, Virus, etc.) There are also hardware samplers (but most are being replaced by software samplers now).

For now, from what I've ready and followed, the Korg Kronos seems to have taken a lead with their 9 synth engines and SSD streaming technology (again this workstation does not have a rack module available). Many agree that it has one of the best sounding pianos around. Your ears may tell you differently. So check what type of instruments you need (orchestral, rock, ethnic, etc.) and that might narrow the field.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.6 running Protools 2020.5.0
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Obsidian !! :) Thumbs UP MATE !! for the detailed explanation ...

The thing is Motif Rack can be controlled through a VST Plugin in Cubase ... My question would be how would i be able to trigger this rack through midi in Pro Tools if it has no RTAS plugin .. (FXPANSION Excluded) ...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Obsidian !! :) Thumbs UP MATE !! for the detailed explanation ...

The thing is Motif Rack can be controlled through a VST Plugin in Cubase ... My question would be how would i be able to trigger this rack through midi in Pro Tools if it has no RTAS plugin .. (FXPANSION Excluded) ...
Because the VST just acts as a UI for the function you already have.

For example...

When I was using the Triton Rack, you can assign MIDI commands on a keyboard or controller to change banks or switch between sounds in the case that you don't want to lean over and change it on the actual rack. Otherwise, you just plug it in as you would any other midi device, and set the output of a MIDI track to the rack (if it's USB, it will show up as the device name for the output... if it's through a MIDI cable, you just have to select the channel). That way, whatever MIDI data is on the track, or being played on your keyboard is sent to the rack. No plugin necessary.

D

Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
My question would be how would i be able to trigger this rack through midi in Pro Tools if it has no RTAS plugin .. (FXPANSION Excluded) ...
The same was as you'd trigger any other external MIDI device. Connect it, set it up in Audio/MIDI setup, open Pro Tools and away you go.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I have never bought an external Midi Device so I can try it with Pro Tools ... Let's say I create a midi track in Pro Tools ... would i be able to see the rack in the I/O of the Midi Track to play from it ????