Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Default Session Loadtime much too slow

Hey,

I am having some Issues with Pro Tools lately. It's Version 2018.4 and I am on Windows 10. I got a Project I mixed the last few days and now it takes literally forver to load that Session. It must be at least been 5 minutes or more to load that particular Session.
There are quite a few Plugins on the Tracks and also a few Busses but I never had such long loadtimes on my old Windows 7 Computer.

Anybody any Idea what is causing the Problem?

Best Regards
Old 01-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Session Loadtime much too slow

I'd be guessing a plugin, or maybe its just unhappy with Windows 7(is that 64 bit or 32 bit?). If you hold the SHIFT key while opening the session, does it open faster? If so, that points more towards plugins. Maybe try using Track Commit on things and see if that helps(Hide and Make Inactive for the source tracks). Another test; Save Session Copy and select audio(checkbox) AND select Main Playlist Only(the other checkbox) and save to the same recording drive. See if the copy session opens much faster(if it does, maybe its all about tons of unused audio files)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 PM

The test would be to load a new session and see if there is a different in loading times

I can’t answer about which exact Win10 version you have but I have been really happy with Win10Pro

I don’t know was an issue with Windows 7 where the antivirus was trying to scan each plugin as it loaded the session I’m not really sure if that’s an issue with windows 10 or not I have never seen it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Is this a "Project" or a "Session"? You have both terms in one sentence but they are actually two different things. Sessions are local(hard drive) and Projects are Cloud based so they load a lot slower than Sessions.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:02 AM

Would be interesting to see where the loading process seems to take the most time. PT puts up little boxes about what's happening during the loading.

I'm guessing everything is audio at this point right?

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the answers. It seems that I didn't get a notification about answers again, or I missed them.

Of course the Problems are with Sessions. I never use cloud based Systems with Pro Tools.

The loading times were quite annoying on some Projects. Some took more than a few minutes.

I trashed a lot of Preferences on PT10 and PT 2018 which I both have installed. After that it seemed a little bit better but not much.

Pro Tools 2018 seemed to need forever to restore the Tracks (Auxes, and Audiotracks).

Haven't been working on m mixing the last few days so I don't know if the Problem is definetely gone or not.
But I had problems with Pro Tools starting because some Waves Plugins couldn't be started. Somtimes it's cause of V9 and sometimes becauso of V10.

But another Start of PT mostly solves the Problem. So maybe the Antivirus from Win 10 is causing the Problems. No other Firewall or Antivirus is installed right now.
Does anybody now any links to optimize Windows for PT 2018?

Best Regards
Old 01-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Have a look here.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Have a look here.
I read the Thread but I don't think I have a similar problem. I did a complete new Install on this particular Computer. It was a Build where I just installed Windows 10 and the Programs I am going to use.
But I guess I will have to pay attention to the Windows 10 Optimization Guide from Avid.

Today I have a Session which has a little bit longer Loadingtime. And it seems just to happen on the Drumbus (StereoAux) and the Bass Bus (StereoAux). These need a few seconds.

On the Drumbus is just ProQ2, Slate VMR and VTM. The Bass Bus has the same Plugin Chain plus Deflector from Sly-Fi.

Strangely the BassBus just lost it's Signal while I was mixing. The Signal got quiter and quiter without a reason. No Automation or fades where made. All the Tracks that feed the Bus were still playing Audio.
After I reloaded the Project I realized that the loading Time was higher than before. The BassBus was getting signal again but Pro Tools was crashing after I moved the Deflector Plugin to another Insert.

Very strange behaviour. I will observe if the Loadtime of the Project gets longer when I start to put Plugins on the Drums.

Heavy Greetz
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 PM

I didn't reference that thread for the specific problem it mentioned, but the Avid optimizations and all the other optimizations I did, plus LatencyMon.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction