Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Mixing Template wanted

I have been using Pro Tools as a songwriting tool for the last 10 months and would love to get some help in setting up my system with a mixing template or two. Previously to this I have only recorded to 2" tape and the engineer did all that stuff for me!

My template that I made has some virtual instr tracks, a midi keyboard controller track, as far as the audio tracks go to buss all my tracks to a stereo bus that goes to a stereo track called submix and the assign the output of submix to a master fader.
On my audio tracks the first plug I use is Analog Chan AC1 Consule 3.
my mixes are OK but a good template could save me years of learning, to give you an idea of what Im after in the mix:
the records I like are the two UNKLE albums
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...cles/unkle.htm
both very well mixed and state of the art in the indie/dance genre

My system consists of PT HD2 G5 Dual Core

Plugs: HD1 pack, Revibe, H3000 factory, Oxford EQ, Analog Channel, Channel G, Fairchild 660, McDSP Synth One, Pure Pitch HD
The templates I need are a PT sessions with a few blank tracks showing me plugin settings etc and bussing

Starting point for Stereo Mix to go to mastering house
Starting point for Stereo Mix with limiting compression to go to record company as demo
Starting point for Stem Mix of six stereo tracks to go to mastering house

Another option
I would gladly pay for a complete remix of a tune if I can get the entire Pro Tools project back

email contact
[email protected]

thanks in advance
Dave
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Mixing Template wanted

interesting...

Show me how You mix and gladly will clone you

Riiiiiight
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 AM

Get the "Mix it Like A Record DVD" It's got some good PT templates on it.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
interesting...

Show me how You mix and gladly will clone you

Riiiiiight
Aw c'mon he is just asking for pointers.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 AM

In twenty + years of doing this I don't think I've ever come up with a mix template. Every song has its own unique character and should be treated so. The compressor setting for the snare on song A may not be correct or even essential on song B. Song A may have two electric guitars recorded in mono. Song B might have Balaliaka and Tipol for the "guitaresque" instruments. Song A may have a slammin' djembe covering the low end, B might have a Drum and Bass loop. I might use a sony oxford to EQ a vocal track but on the next tune a Pultec clone might be the appropriate plug.

I think it's more important to treat each song like music as opposed to a cookie cutter.

Save yourself some frustration and increase your productivity by developing a good relationship with a good mix engineer and, just like when you were with 2", have your engineer mix. This allow you to continue with the more important task of your career... writing music.
96GB Memory