Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.3: a developers perspective....

Digi, you really have to keep your eye on the ball, as you've had it your own way for a long time. Protools has been the only serious DAW, but things are changing. Remember the Akai sampler? Remember the AMS delay, the Lexicon 480? These, like Protools, were peerless but largely superceded by cheaper technology. You can have all the rhetoric you want, but the news on the ground is that I can run a generic DAW with a cheap multi input sound card, at 3ms buffers, and have, to all intent, the same ish facilities. This year I bought an HD system, after years of working in Logic 5 on a PC. My HD system is less stable, and has less tracks, and less processing power. I didn't have to pay for every Logic plugin, and could avail myself to the plethora of VST ones around.
I believe that Protools is the most professional solution available, but if everybody starts using Logic, for example, I'll have to change. I've lost too many hours transfering projects between platforms. Bear in mind, also, that Apple is positioning Logic to be a Protools replacement, so that once safe haven is going to become quite hazardous. Beware of becoming a dinosaur, they ruled the roost once too.........