Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Question a couple of quick questions Im sure you can all answer easily

Whats up everyone, I have been running PT 8 for about 45 days now and I love it! I just got the 8.03 update for my Macbook Pro and no more error messages! I do have a few questions though for anyone who can help me out.

1.How do I set the playback cursor to be followed during playback? Id like to have my edit window scroll in order to follow with my current position while playing back.

2. How do I apply plug ins (lets say a delay) to just a portion of a track and not the whole thing? I am trying to add a reverse delay to some drums for a transition but cannot figure it out.

3. How do I set up autosave?

4. How do I disable the video engine? I accidentally added it to my install package and I am never going to use it so Id like to spare the start up time the extra 15 seconds.

There a surely more questions I am having trouble remembering.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Re: a couple of quick questions Im sure you can all answer easily

1) Options>Scrolling... Page (I think that's the right menu, I'm not at my Mac). You can only do "waveform" scrolling on HD

2) Plugin Automation OR apply the effect using Audiosuite processing to a region or selection. Too much info to explain the details here.. I would refer you to the Reference Manual at this point, just search for those terms and read up..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammadstatus View Post
Whats up everyone, I have been running PT 8 for about 45 days now and I love it! I just got the 8.03 update for my Macbook Pro and no more error messages! I do have a few questions though for anyone who can help me out.

1.How do I set the playback cursor to be followed during playback? Id like to have my edit window scroll in order to follow with my current position while playing back.

2. How do I apply plug ins (lets say a delay) to just a portion of a track and not the whole thing? I am trying to add a reverse delay to some drums for a transition but cannot figure it out.

There a surely more questions I am having trouble remembering.
Thanks
Me: Hey I wanted to apply plug ins to portions of a track
Digidesign Support Tech: We are actually here for issues regarding errors and not How-To support.
Me: So you dont know...?
Digidesign Support Tech: No, I know. I am just not authorized to tell you.

Thanks Customer Support
Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammadstatus View Post
Me: Hey I wanted to apply plug ins to portions of a track
Digidesign Support Tech: We are actually here for issues regarding errors and not How-To support.
Me: So you dont know...?
Digidesign Support Tech: No, I know. I am just not authorized to tell you.

Thanks Customer Support
Uh... I think you have something figured wrong here...

This is the "Digidesign User Conference"

This is not the Digidesign Support website..

I am not an employee of Digidesign. I am a ProTools user, like you (well maybe not exactly like you... I don't mind looking up information when I want it)

If I don't feel like repeating hundreds of words of explanation that are repeated all through this forum and in the Reference guide like I pointed you to, well that's my prerogative, isn't it?

So I guess I don't get any credit for the answer to item 1 either, huh?

Well, good luck getting further advice on the forum.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Better Search Engine

You know what would solve alot of problems on how to find answers on this forum? A search engine right on the top of the page. A search engine that actually worked. I know alot of my questions have already been asked a hundred times over, but I don't have the time to manually look through a decade of posts and threads. Just like helpful people on this forum that really want to be helpful, but again, don't have the time to post every single word of significance of an in-depth answer. At the same time, you can't blame a guy that's smart enough, when he has a question, to go right to the source can you?

All this site needs is a better search engine. More of a suggestion than a complaint. happy hollidays everyone
Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM

I agree Digieric that would be very helpful. To Flommer, I didnt think I was being rude or obnoxious. My quote wasnt about you, I just made the mistake of placing my conversation with PT customer support as a quote when I thought it was going to be my signature. Youre speedy answer actually helped me get a great idea of what I needed to do. I was surely grateful but then you tried to put me in my place which I dont understand. I hope you feel dominate in YOUR territory. We all use forums to learn things, I did some research myself but all I could find were youtube videos that in one way or another still lacked the information I needed. When a beginner is looking for help forumites are usually very respectful and supportive that someone has taken an interest in your interests. At least we are at Harmony-Central. Did I not post my question in the appropriate forum? This seemed like the most suitable place. Im not sure why I was made to look lazy by not doing any research. I am planning on buying PT for dummies or an equivalent resource to learn from sometime in the near future. Anyways, thanks for everything.