Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Default anyone else having timing issues with play and pt 12?

Take any loop from any pack, in this case the electronica, press BPM sync, PLAY will correctly identify the pro tools project BPM but it actually sounds out of sync all over the place, especially against other midi.

The midi clip is playing 4 beats each note ie 1 bar long, tried also to make 8 beat midi notes as well as 2 beat (pointless unless you are wanting to play a shorter loop as each loop is 4 beats minimum anyway so you need a 4 beat sustained note to play the whole loop).

No overlapping notes.

Quantized perfectly on bar.

Checked with same midi file in Logic using the AU, flawless sync. I tried shortening each note by a few ticks just in case it had an issue with each being a full exact bar.. no dice.

I thought it was a pro tools issue, so i tested all my other beat instruments.. my UVI beatbox anthology, my arturia spark 2, my NI stuff, and Boom - all are flawlessly on beat. I also tested delay plugins and my vengeance trance gate - flawless. Therefore it has to be PLAY.

This is quite serious.. I then tested the AU version of Play via Blue cat patchworx wrapper, in pro tools, and the same problem occurs. So whatever method play uses to sync to transport, it's incompatible with pro tools.

Right now that means 80% of the libraries are completely unusable.Well anything rhythm based is.

Not only that, I tested using a loop at it's native BPM without having to activate the BPM sync, and the same issue occurs. ie I chose a loop that was already at my project tempo. Just simple midi notes in PT and play can't handle it.

I also want to add, timing seems sloppy on normal PLAY acoustic instruments just playing midi melodies.. I simply can not reproduce that issue with ANY other instrument plugin. it's no where near as bad as the beat sync issue, but it just feels "sloppy".

Imac 3.4ghz 32Gb ram, SSD main, 2x SSD thunderbolt, tested internal audio and UAD apollo latest driver. Latest play, just installed today. OS 12.12.6 and PT 12.8

Cpu load is negligent, tons of ram free.

Anyone else?

Regards and TIA.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Default Re: anyone else having timing issues with play and pt 12?

Ok so no one else? i have little timing errors everywhere with play, but in logic, the au, and in S1/Cubase/Tracktion, the vst is perfect.

If i use the vst or AU through patchworx in pro tools, same problem.

This tells me that the way play syncs to tempo, is no compatible 100% with pro tools.
None of my other aax plugins do this.
Not a one.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 PM

When you say "play" do you mean EW Play VI or something else?

I know there are a few Play users here so hang tight and someone will comment. Musicman691 (Jack) use EW Play and he knows that inside out. I will send him a Pm and ask if can jump in.we don't use EW, We are all in with 8DIO

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 AM

TNM:
What revision of the Play engine are you using? It's currently at 5.04; the update checker in Play won't necessarily see that there's an update out there. Try that.

I'm on PT11.3.2 but I'll give it a shot later today and see if there's any issues with that setup. If there is that would confirm it's an endemic problem between PT and Play. I'll also try the same thing in Digital Performer 9.02 using the au just to see if Play 5.04 works okay which would confirm your observations.

QAPLA!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Gui lag 12.8.2

Yes I meant EW play.. definitely on 5.04

I am talking mostly about the tempo sync stuff..

just say a 1 bar midi note on c3 playing the loop, play is correctly identifying session tempo of PT..

Midi is perfectly 100% quantised.

the play loop drifts in and out of time.

Zero issues using same midi file, same loop etc, with vst or au in cubase and logic respectively.

Even with my own melodies, not loops, using a play instrument, i notice occasional timing issues, like it doesn't play exactly where the note is drawn..

It's very strange and of course since no other aax instrument does it, it has to be a play issue.
I haven't been able to use any of the loops in the composer cloud for the three months since i joined (i informed them within the first hour when i realised the issue).

it's a bit better in 12.8.2 PT though.. a little better.. which has kind of confused me.. are avid/EW talking behind the scenes? Either way i have never received any sort of email reply from them. I kind of want 3 extra months to be honest, as the huge catalog of rhythmical material was a major drawcard for me.

I just want it fixed, and i'll be happy with whatever money i have lost.. ultimately yeah, i just want it fixed.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Gui lag 12.8.2

Do you stream from disc or load all? I've had issues with EW's disk streaming and out of habit load all to ram.

QAPLA!
Old 11-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why use EW Play for loops? Aside from being one of the most maligned VI mediums out there, I'm pretty sure it was built solely for EW's own instruments. Doesn't PT have a built-in loop thingy? Or Structure? And as far as playing EW instruments, there might be some timing variance based on the particular instrument and articulation because of how it's actually played in real life.

(My beef with EW is out-of-tune notes in Hollywood Orchestra, even without the repetition button on. The repetition button makes it worse.)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why use EW Play for loops? Aside from being one of the most maligned VI mediums out there, I'm pretty sure it was built solely for EW's own instruments. Doesn't PT have a built-in loop thingy? Or Structure? And as far as playing EW instruments, there might be some timing variance based on the particular instrument and articulation because of how it's actually played in real life.

(My beef with EW is out-of-tune notes in Hollywood Orchestra, even without the repetition button on. The repetition button makes it worse.)
If you noticed tnm mentioned these are loops from EW's composer cloud deal. They may well be locked to only working inside Play and I wouldn't be surprised about that as Doug Rogers has done some idiotic stuff. And considering that EW's sampling is suspect to begin with - if you listen closely to the original EWQLSO Gold instruments you'll hear errors in some of the velocity levels like extraneous noises and people talking in the background. This was back when they used Kontakt and never redid the libraries when they went to the Play engine. Then there's the sloppy looping of samples - most noticeable in woodwinds.

Don't even get me started on the way they over-price their libraries. I wouldn't mind if the quality was consistent but it isn't and I got banned from their forums for questioning that amongst other practices.

QAPLA!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 AM

First point, does this happen if you disable ADC ?
Second; is the VI track routed straight to your main out, or via an aux channel (sub master) . ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
When you say "play" do you mean EW Play VI or something else?

I know there are a few Play users here so hang tight and someone will comment. Musicman691 (Jack) use EW Play and he knows that inside out. I will send him a Pm and ask if can jump in.we don't use EW, We are all in with 8DIO
VI will be out later this month. V is the current version I believe.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield