Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 AM

Default Fabfilter Pro Q3 released

No - not a typo. Went to the Fabfilter site this morning site and what comes up but them mentioning that Pro Q3 is out. Didn't know they were working on a new version but this one is a doozy. They finally have a dynamic EQ function amongst other things. See here: https://www.fabfilter.com/products/p...alizer-plug-in

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Fabfilter Pro Q3 released

This is great!
Fabfilter are the best.
They've taken an already great EQ and given the option of mutiband compression and expansion or de-essing within the same interface.
All this and surround compatibility too..
Not to mention loads of other great new features.

Its a no brainer, I got it straight away.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Fabfilter is a nice EQ for post as well as their Pro DS is.
The multichannel support is nice but comes too late - few years after DMG Equilibrium had.
Never use myself Dynamic EQ or Multiband compressors...but may be good for music folks.
The upgrade price for existing Pro Q2 users is $89.50 which IMHO is quite steep.
To my ears the Equilibrium still sounds better and has better UI for my taste.
Also interesting is it maps fine on Icon consoles.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 AM

If Equilibrium didn't exist, this would be my #1 go-to EQ for sure. For people who need the Dynamic EQ, multiband and de-essing it seems like a no-brainer.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No - not a typo. Went to the Fabfilter site this morning site and what comes up but them mentioning that Pro Q3 is out. Didn't know they were working on a new version but this one is a doozy. They finally have a dynamic EQ function amongst other things. See here: https://www.fabfilter.com/products/p...alizer-plug-in
Did you try this version out? If so, did it satisfy your desire bit different tone as you discussed in another thread?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Did you try this version out? If so, did it satisfy your desire bit different tone as you discussed in another thread?
I'm working with the demo right now and so far I'm loving it as it's getting tracks to a place I wish Q2 could have done. Also like they way they handled the per-band splitting into two (or more for surround) separate eq points to work with m/s and split stereo treatment. The only thing it took a while to wrap my head around was the numbering of the splits. Say you have 4 eq points and you split eq point 3 into two parts - one part stays as eq point 3 and the new one gets labeled eq point 5.

The one thing that's disappointing not for me but others is the grace period for a free upgrade. It seems like if you purchased during the recent Black Friday sale you get a free upgrade (but you may have to explicitly ask for it) but before that like say a month you get a reduced price upgrade. This is from browsing their forum. And near as I can find out there's no place on the FF site that says what the upgrade policy is for those who already have Q2 (or the original).

I'm going to make every use of the 30 day trial as funds got real tight again. Got some things that usually come up for around Christmas time that can bring in some cash.

QAPLA!
Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I'm working with the demo right now and so far I'm loving it as it's getting tracks to a place I wish Q2 could have done. Also like they way they handled the per-band splitting into two (or more for surround) separate eq points to work with m/s and split stereo treatment. The only thing it took a while to wrap my head around was the numbering of the splits. Say you have 4 eq points and you split eq point 3 into two parts - one part stays as eq point 3 and the new one gets labeled eq point 5.

The one thing that's disappointing not for me but others is the grace period for a free upgrade. It seems like if you purchased during the recent Black Friday sale you get a free upgrade (but you may have to explicitly ask for it) but before that like say a month you get a reduced price upgrade. This is from browsing their forum. And near as I can find out there's no place on the FF site that says what the upgrade policy is for those who already have Q2 (or the original).

I'm going to make every use of the 30 day trial as funds got real tight again. Got some things that usually come up for around Christmas time that can bring in some cash.
Thanks for the input. I've been using the F6 for my dynamic EQ needs. Sometimes it does alright, sometimes it doesn't. I use the previous version of FF at least a couple times every Session. The other one I use is the Acon EQ. Quite similar, but it can get very surgical. I think I get smoother, more musical results with the FF when I don't need surgical.

I'm in a similar state due to getting a new UAD X series, which eliminated the urgency for the power solution I asked about in a different thread. (Clear as a bell now, fwiw) That, and I loaded up on Unison pre-amps and other plugs in their holiday sale. As far as FF goes, I've passed on a lot of upgrades recently, but might not pass on this one. Sometimes that Waves F6 doesn't do it for me.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Thanks for the input. I've been using the F6 for my dynamic EQ needs. Sometimes it does alright, sometimes it doesn't. I use the previous version of FF at least a couple times every Session. The other one I use is the Acon EQ. Quite similar, but it can get very surgical. I think I get smoother, more musical results with the FF when I don't need surgical.

I'm in a similar state due to getting a new UAD X series, which eliminated the urgency for the power solution I asked about in a different thread. (Clear as a bell now, fwiw) That, and I loaded up on Unison pre-amps and other plugs in their holiday sale. As far as FF goes, I've passed on a lot of upgrades recently, but might not pass on this one. Sometimes that Waves F6 doesn't do it for me.
I just grabbed F6 in the recent 'buy 2 get 1 free' promotion Waves ran. Haven't had time to really get into it.

There's a thread over at GS in the 'new products' section on this beast where people are talking about some issues. One of them is control weirdness mostly with those still on El Crapitan. Another is some are moaning about the thing of not having adjustable attack and release for the dynamic eq. And speaking of the dynamic eq some are disappointed there's no external sidechain for that. And of course the ever-popular chatter about upgrade pricing for existing owners. The comments aren't all negative though with some saying it's replacing other eq's they use.

QAPLA!
Old 12-02-2018, 06:20 AM

The main advantage I see on the FF is that it can shape the curve in ways that no other EQ can. I don't think it has a sound on its own, it's simply the perfect and most comprehensive digital EQ and it really makes easy to accede all those features. F6 doesn't get anywhere near, however it sounds as good, has a easy workflow especially for those used to the Renn and Q series and does all of the important stuff you expect from a dynamic EQ, also having control over the attack and release times has saved me several times, especially controlling fret buzz on acoustic guitars and deessing, but for those doing a lot of surgical work Fabfilter is a must.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
And near as I can find out there's no place on the FF site that says what the upgrade policy is for those who already have Q2 (or the original).
If you have Q1 or Q2, the upgrade pricing is $89. That's a 50% discount. People always complain about pricing because everyone wants everything for free.
(and if you use Audiodeluxe, that turns into $75.99)

If you have more FabFilter plugins, you get an even larger discount (as they've always done)