Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2015, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-Amp monitoring not working

Hello All, I hope I can bump this topic and get some responses here. I've just purchased Eleven Rack and Pro Tools 11. This problem that was described in this forum regarding reamping is the same result I am seeing.

I think the topic got a little off track but for clarity sake this is what is happening.

After recording a "guitar"(guitar input to track) only mono track I'd like to reamp this. Another track was created, stereo this time. The output of the dry track set to reamping, the input to the stereo track set to reamping, the 11R editor set to reamping. Next was to arm the new stereo track and press play. The outcome of this was no output, from the stereo track. Next I chose to record or print on the stereo track and now I could monitor the reamp'd signal and change the presets at will and hear the changes. This would only function like this if a track was actually being recorded. I also observed the same condition as the previous poster when only arming the stereo audio track without recording and stopping the playback of the recorded guitar track, I could hear maybe a seconds worth of audio after pressing the stop button. The short audio was indeed the reamp tone.

Also as the other poster, I've tried sessions from scratch, templates and have watched the videos on youtube over and over thinking I was missing something. The video posted here is the same one I've been watching.

Now here is where things seem to miss for me. I understand maybe this might have been a function of earlier PT versions 10, 9 whatever... Though I'm assuming the video posted here showing the reamping their using PT11 like me. And clearly in the video after all the inputs/outputs are setup the reamp track is only armed and is not being recorded. This is where some of my confusion comes in if Avid is saying you have to record the track to monitor the reamp, which in itself does not make any sense, that's another discussion.

So can someone please verify the version of PT being used in the video, also what the I/O settings are? Like everyone else, I've used templates and have also defaulted my I/O's several times and have not seen reaming work as outlined in the video. Seeing what the hardware setup is from start to finish might help as well.. Thanks in advance.....

On a side note, another strange thing I've found is recording on a INST track without having a midi device connected. I've been told by others they do this on PT11 without issue though I can only record a INST track using one of the AIR products by sending the INST track to an audio track. This also makes little sense...
Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 AM

I recorded the video, and all the fine videos you will find on the BenoniStudio YouTube channel Lol

Ok, the video was indeed recorded with Pro Tools 11.

The I/O is shown in the video. If yours is different, just default it.
How to Default the I/O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ9SgQm8H4

You said you set the INPUT of the track to Re-Amp? That shouldn't even be an option. You want the track input to be ELEVEN RIG L/R and the output will be your MAINS.

The dry track output will be Re-Amp and the INPUT of the Eleven Rack will be Re-Amp

All of this is shown in the video
Eleven Rack - Re-Amp in Pro Tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzu75EZjkQ

On to the monitoring question...

In the video I use PT|HD, so I have an Input Monitor button. The reason you are not hearing the guitar when just playing back is probably because you are in the wrong Input Mode.

ALT+K to switch between Auto-Input and Input Only modes.

INSTRUMENT TRACKS

No you would not want to record AUDIO to an instrument track, that's not what they are for. Instruments tracks or not for physical instruments like guitars, basses, drums, ect.... they are for Virtual Instruments/Plugins like BFD3, AIR Hybrid, Boom, Mini Grand, ect...

You want an AUDIO track because you are recording sound waves, aka, Audio.

You could also use an AUX track if you just want a constant monitor without the ability to record. And Instruments tracks are a combo of an AUX and MIDI track which is how we use to setup Virtual Instruments, and still do in many cases, at least I do.

Does that cover everything?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Hey It sounds like I got the right guy... :)

So yesterday after work and calling Sweetwater instead of just defaulting the I/Os I first deleted them, saved the settings went back in then defaulted them. This was on counsel from Sweetwater as they have indicated sometimes defaulting alone may not fix I/O issues. Regardless after going through this procedure I was still not hearing audio on my reamp track.

So I started to look into a monitoring issue. I found under the Track menu something called Auto Input. (As you mentioned ALT + K) I clicked this and before I knew I was hearing audio on the armed track. So you were right on.

I don't know why this was so difficult to resolve and not more commonly known. But I'm getting the impression with PT that for how feature rich it is it can also shoot you in the foot over some arcane setting. So as I'm new to Pro Tools I do understand this stuff and can figure it out at an alarming rate.. :) Either way I had a great time kicking the tires reamping, recording different tracks and setting up aux FX sends and mixing, saving my first MP3.

Regarding, the Inst track, I didn't mean recording "audio" on an Inst track apologies if that's the way it sounded, I thought midi data could be recorded directly the Inst track "without" having/using a midi device connected to the 11R. The AIR virtual inst. can't record the midi data without a midi device connected though from what I'm finding out there are some VI's that can do that like some drum plugins. This is fine as for now I'm using Boom and can save the beats I program for later use and send the Inst output to an audio track.

Thanks for your help, I'm glad I can move forward now, I could not let this go until I got this worked out.

Oh I've watched a number of your vids, they are some of the best I've found. Too many on youtube are in love with their own voices, and interested in showing off gear and spend most of their vids not covering what they label. You my friend cut out the BS and get straight to the heart of the matter and I find these very helpful..

Regards,
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 PM

A little off the subject, but I notice that the Eleven Rack Session Templates are missing in Pro Tools 12. Is it OK/Suffient to copy them from their 11 program folder into the 12 folder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I recorded the video, and all the fine videos you will find on the BenoniStudio YouTube channel Lol

Ok, the video was indeed recorded with Pro Tools 11.

The I/O is shown in the video. If yours is different, just default it.
How to Default the I/O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ9SgQm8H4

You said you set the INPUT of the track to Re-Amp? That shouldn't even be an option. You want the track input to be ELEVEN RIG L/R and the output will be your MAINS.

The dry track output will be Re-Amp and the INPUT of the Eleven Rack will be Re-Amp

All of this is shown in the video
Eleven Rack - Re-Amp in Pro Tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzu75EZjkQ

On to the monitoring question...

In the video I use PT|HD, so I have an Input Monitor button. The reason you are not hearing the guitar when just playing back is probably because you are in the wrong Input Mode.

ALT+K to switch between Auto-Input and Input Only modes.

INSTRUMENT TRACKS

No you would not want to record AUDIO to an instrument track, that's not what they are for. Instruments tracks or not for physical instruments like guitars, basses, drums, ect.... they are for Virtual Instruments/Plugins like BFD3, AIR Hybrid, Boom, Mini Grand, ect...

You want an AUDIO track because you are recording sound waves, aka, Audio.

You could also use an AUX track if you just want a constant monitor without the ability to record. And Instruments tracks are a combo of an AUX and MIDI track which is how we use to setup Virtual Instruments, and still do in many cases, at least I do.

Does that cover everything?