Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 08:21 PM

Default Simple Pro Tools monitoring Question

Okay, I have some mackie hr824's directly connected to the analog outs of my 888's and a mix plus system. Whenever I want to put a plugin like an L1 ultramaximizer on my master fader, I'm forced to blast the monitor volume in order to get good input levels into the L1 (because master fader inserts are post fader). How do I avoid having to listen at such high levels? (I know there's a simple answer to this one). Do I have to route my entire mix to a aux input with an L1 insert on it and then send it back to the master outs? This seems weird to have to do, and no manuals ever seem to suggest it. Will doing that compromise quality in any way? Any advice from you pros out there? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2001, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Simple Pro Tools monitoring Question

You need an analog attenuator of some kind. A preamp, a small mixer, or even a simple potentiometer to reduce the output levelsof your 888. Your monitoring method is not exactly proper. If the 888 were designed to be directly connected to your monitors it would have a volume control. Thats what you need.
Old 05-12-2001, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by emilano:
...Do I have to route my entire mix to a aux input...
Coleman audio (www.colemanaudio.com) makes a passive monitor box called the M3 which is quite good. On the cheap side, Furman makes the SRM80 which does what you need, but at the expense of running the monitor path through some VCAs.

best,
rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Breen (edited May 12, 2001).]

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-12-2001, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Breen:
Coleman audio (www.colemanaudio.com) makes a passive monitor box called the M3 which is quite good. On the cheap side, Furman makes the SRM80 which does what you need, but at the expense of running the monitor path through some VCAs.

best,
rich

I just read a review on proaudioreview.com of the SRM-80. It sounds like its an incredible buy for convenience and features but has somewhat low quality sound output. The coleman products look like the better option at a hundred or 2 dollars more. Thanks for the tip!