How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Default C|24 opinions and user feedback

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting Avid's C|24 for a new HDX rig and I wanted to ask the DUC masses their thoughts...

1) How much do you still have to use the mouse and keyboard?
2) Is it intuitive and easy to use? (ie saving, automation & plug-in control)
3) Is the monitor section comprehensive enough?
4) How are the preamps?

If you have any other points please share them.
Many thanks for your responses.
Best,
James

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Re: C|24 opinions and user feedback

I would double check the C|24 and future PT compatibility. I thought support for it was going away...
UAD 2 Quad Card
UAD Duo Apollo w/Thunderbolt
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM

C24 will be supported for quite a while.

It's the older Control 24 that won't be. And the Pro Control.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM

I spend a small amount of time on the C24 at a friend's studio and I like it. My biggest complaint is the transport buttons are on the right and I prefer them on the left(as my right hand is usually on the mouse). I haven't done enough time to tap into the deeper functions(but I'm sure some others here will chime in on that). Each time I work there, I try to force myself to use it more, but old habits die hard!

BTW, my simple solution to the transport buttons was to leave a Presonus Faderport there. My friend found that handy as his recently failed(we discovered 135V at the outlets). Moral of that story, ALWAYS check the power when you move into a new space.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM

I've used the C24 quite a bit and like albee says, the transport controls on the right get a little annoying. It's a very powerful control surface, and you really can just about do away with the mouse and keyboard if you spend the time learning it, but naturally it takes a while until all the functions become second nature..
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks chaps. You have pretty much confirmed what I thought originally, after a learning curve I'm sure I could do away with mouse and keyboard.

Here's hoping...

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 AM

I'm glad I have mine but mainly for it's mixing/automation functionality which is pretty good.

I've never got on with it for most editing tasks though. There's no delete, separate region or fade/crossfade control and I've NEVER got on with the jog/shuttle/trim wheel functionality. You might of course. To me it's clunky and I curse every time I use it. The wheel works better in conjunction with the Mark In/Mark Out switches for making selections but other than that, I REALLY don't like the way it functions so I just don't use it. This is MY opinion of course which you might not share. You really need to try one for yourself.

The switches to the right of the channel strips, (where the transport controls are,) are badly organised and grouped in my opinion and important functions are missing.

A couple of examples... say you select a region using the C24, if you want to delete the region, you have to go back to your keyboard, you can't do it from the C24, (Unless I missed something although I've read the manual twice!) Same goes if you want to separate a region. If you want to add a fade/crossfade from the C24.... forget it!

Also, I find having all the editing related switches on the far right a pain. You're always leaning over unless you centre your computer display/keyboard in front of that section rather than than centrally over the centre of the C24.

There are other little niggles too. Like when you open a plug-in from the C24, it also opens on your computer screen. Great!.... Trouble is, when you close the plug-in from the C24, it stays open on the computer screen. You have to press another C24 button to close the plug-in on screen even if you're looking at another "view" on the C24 display.

Also, in 2012, a 6 character display per track/function is a little outdated IMO. And speaking of the displays, they're not great in a control room with lots of natural daylight, especially on a bright day.

Personally I wouldn't buy one now, not now Avid have bought Euphonix. I doubt they'll ever add Eucon to the C24. The C24 is a few years old now and I wonder how many versions of Pro Tools it will take before Avid retire it in favour of whatever it's replacement will be (no doubt from Euphonix?) I'd work out how many versions of Pro Tools the Control 24 made it through, (PT10 is the last,) and go from there!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

BTW, my simple solution to the transport buttons was to leave a Presonus Faderport there. My friend found that handy as his recently failed(we discovered 135V at the outlets). Moral of that story, ALWAYS check the power when you move into a new space.....
Ouch. Not to go OT on the thread but was it just the wall wart that failed or the Faderport itself? As to the 135 VAC I have an idea of how that happened and you better have your friend have his building wiring checked (I'm thinking somebody tried using one leg of a 3 phase circuit for distribution).

QAPLA!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM

I've been using the C|24 for a few years now.... Excellent for mixing and editing of plug-ins. Once you set up plug-In mapping for all your plugs you will fly on this thing. It takes quite a bit of time to set up but you only have to do it once and it makes plug-in use much, much faster and intuitive. All the key parameters are in the same place for all plug-ins. That along is worth the price of admission in my opinion. The only thing I find lacking for my needs are custom fader sets. You can however accomplish some of that with different screen sets. Not nearly as powerful though and if there was any reason for me to graduate to a full blown Icon, that would be one of the main ones.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM

I've only used C24 a few times, but on the whole found it fairly intuitive and easy to get along with as a control surface. Just on your 4th point re the pre amps. I have to say I was seriously underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting 16 x Neve 1081's but I'd make sure you've got some better pre's somewhere in your setup.