Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Instrument Plugins??

I have recently converted from PC/Windows/Sonar to iMac/ProTools and I am still trying to learn the differences... Anyway, I am playing around with some midi stuff and I am trying to assign a virtual instrument to a midi track. When I go to AudioSuite -> Other, I am not even seeing a menu option for Instrument Plugins. I think I am seeing some instrument plugin files in the ProTools Creative Collection folder (minigrand, boom...). Did I do something wrong during the install?

Thank for helping a noob!!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Instrument Plugins??

Yeah, you need either an Instrument track or a MIDI/AUX track configuration. Insert the Virtual Instrument on either the Instrument Track or the AUX track of the MIDI/AUX track configuration.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM

filosofem - thanks for the help! I do have an instrument track, but I still don't see an option under the AudioSuite, or anywhere for that matter, that will bring up my Instrument Plugins.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 PM

You don't look in the Audiosuite menu, you insert the instrument into one of the insert slots in the Pro Tools mixer.

If you're using an instrument track, it will handle both the MIDI routing and the audio routing on that one track. If you're trying to use a MIDI track, you will need to add wither an aux or an audio track for the instrument to sit on and then you would need to manually route the MIDI track output to the instrument.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 PM

AudioSuite is for static batch style processing of an audio track, not what you want.

What you want to do is typical done this way: in your Mix window show at least "Inserts A-E". (If they are not showing there is a little pulldown menu in the bottom left of the mix window border frame). Click on one of the grey boxes under the INSERTS A-E block on the channel strip for the instrument track the pop-up will list multichannel and multi-mono plugins. In there will be listed your instrument plugins. Select one of those. That plugin now takes the midi from the instrument track and processes it to audio.

The Pro Tools documentation covers all this in more detail -- and that is not telling you to "go away and read the manual". Its actually really worth reading though this stuff because there are just a lot of great capabilities in a complex system.

Darryl
Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks TJ and Daryl. I am still learning the differences between Sonar and PT... And I do need to spend a lot more time reading the manual!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 AM

You may want to also check out the AIR Users Blog. There are tons of helpful videos.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
You may want to also check out the AIR Users Blog. There are tons of helpful videos.
+1 on this, the blog is well worth donating to!!!